The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm setting up a 75 gallon reef and am really confused on which lighting to get. I am currently thinking of getting the coralife aqualight elite which has 2 175 watt and 2 96w power compacts. Will this be too much light for my tank? I plan on having sps, lps, and softies but I am not sure how the softies will do. The other fixture is a 6x 54 T5 by catalina aquariums and comes with individual reflectors. I was also wondering if corals color up better under metal halides or t5's?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i personally would stay away from power compact lights. i would stick with metal halide or t5ho. i currently have a 55 gallon tank with 4 54w t5ho bulbs and am keeping softies, LPS, and a long tentacle anemone just fine. as far as SPS, i don't know much about their requirements with light.
hope this helps.

good luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the metal halide fixture comes with power compacts as a supplemental light, their actinic. The metal halides though are 10k probably gonna upgrade em to 14k though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whats the depth of your tank? If it is more than 18 inches deep you should go with 250 watt halides. Less than 18 inches I would go with 150 watt halides. Perferably HQI Metal Halides (Double Ended) with eithier choice. I would steer away from the 175 watt option only because bulbs for these are not always readily available and your options for manufactures and light temperature are greatly decreased because not all manufactures produce 175 watt Halides. Also as for as I know most 175 watt bulbs are only mougle base wich I believe does not produce the same quality of light as the HQI's. If you end up going with 150 watt halides I would add some T5 actnics to suplement the lighting as well. With the 250 watt bulbs you could probably run them by themselves. I have two 250 watt Halides on my 65 gallon with 20000k Giesman bulbs. Works great for me!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tank is 18" deep. Can anyone recommend me a good fixture for the tank. It needs to have legs and moonlights for sure lol. I love moonlights.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I guess I'll just go with the 250 watts by current usa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts