The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who followed the "What should I do with my 75g tank?" thread - it has been decided. I was told we needed a lobster. I was looking for something different - I have done all the freshwater tanks and I have a reef tank. I was going to do a marine tank and wanted something different but relatively low maintenance. Nothing requiring intensive or difficult feeding routines.

What to do with the tank has been a topic around the family for some time and various ideas were put forward from all sides. Given the success of the YouTube series Leon the Lobster by Brady Brandwood it was unanimously voted in while I was not present. I have to admit, I am also a fan.

Friday night the boys moved the tank downstairs and fortunately I had water ready and salt on hand. I had some cycled rock and substrate. Just a matter of filling.

We soon found ourselves at the local grocery store picking out a lobster. There has been a long time running gag with my kids. When they were little we would be cuddled up on the couch under a blanket watching tv...I would out of nowhere as "Have you seen my lobster?" Pinching of sides and legs immediately commensed and a good wrestle was had. To this day it makes my daughter jump when I say it. At any rate - the imaginary blanket lobster's name was Larry. Hence, this lobster is also Larry.

What we know about him:
  • He is a "he" We checked quickly before outting him in the tank. Definitely a male.
  • He is an American Lobster (Homarus americanus) , also commonly called Maine Lobster, Red Lobster, or Canadian Lobster. Same species but differ slightly due to colder water temps.
  • He weighted 1.5lbs when purchased Nov 25th 2022.
  • I had read on line that a lobsters weight x 4 + 3 years gives it's approvimate age - Our best guess is that he is about about 9 years.
  • He is about 12" long tail to end of claws - claws are a little over 3" long.
  • He was in good physical condition and had great coloring.

Current water parameters:
  • PH is 8.0
  • Temp is currently 64F - no heaters! It just got simpler!
  • Salinity is 1.023
  • Water was mixed with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals - I will be using the regular Instan Ocean Sea Salt mix for future water changes & save the Reef Mix for the other tank.
  • No lighting - they are deep water creatures and it is dark down there. They are also nocturnal hunters so there is no need to light his tank up like a used car lot. There is a pot light on the ceiling in just the right spot to swivel towards the tank to see him with. The lights have been kept at the minimum until he aclimatizes a bit but won't get raied up much in the future.
  • Crushed coral substrate for him to dig around in - about the coarseness of kitty litter.
  • I lowered him slowly into the tank, breifly tilting and inverting him to help get air out of his carapace. A suprising amount came out.

This tank will be mostly open space. I needed a cave for him to hide in as that is their natural habit. I spied a brand new waste basket my wife had brought home that was the perfect size. 5 minutes in the garage and I had cut it inhalf to make an arch. I took a bunch of the rubble I had left from the big tank and used it to cover the plastic tub. After a brief inspection Larry cautiously walked into his cave then turned around and parked himself at the door and looked out.

I will get some pics and fill in more info later when I get home.

· Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the only pic on my phone. Leroy was just over $38.00. There were no marks or growths under his elastic bands so I don’t think he has been in “storage” very long. Leon, the lobster from YouTube had noticeable marks from the elastics and barnacles growing underneath them.

Arthropod Insect American lobster Homarus Decapoda

· Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leroy seems to be settling in. He spent the first three days in his cave. This morning he was out clearing the sand from one corner of the tank. He came over to investigate when I went near the tank and held his claws up to let me know he isn’t a morning person and that there was nothing to see there. I managed to take a couple pics and left him a shrimp to snack on.

Arthropod Organism Seafood Insect Decapoda

Arthropod Organism Terrestrial animal Marine invertebrates Decapoda

· Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His cave is partially done. I ran out of rock rubble so will get some from my LFS this week. I kinda like the look. Once it is filled in it should loosely resemble a natural rock. It is a great way to use up the little pieces in the bottom of the rock bin.

I am going to put some macro algae in for him. Apparently he will eat it.

Organism Water Fish supply Wood Pet supply

Window Building Automotive exterior Gas Wood

· Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the sticker from the grocery store. The kids thought it was funny to stick it up there like he may still be for sale.

It shows his weight and the date we got him so it may end up on the inside of the door to the filter cabinet.

· Administrator
20,815 Posts
Cool. You know you can remove the sticker off the front glass..
..... :unsure: ......I think Leroy would look silly wearing a name tag....'HI, I'm Leroy!'. Just don't seem right.
Hack

· Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Morning all. A quick Larry update. Larry continues to be very grumpy. I think we are at day 37. Aside from having a “get off my lawn” attitude he is a neat freak. I put 4 golf balls in there and it drives him nuts. He moves three to one corner of the tank and the forth usually gets rolled to the back.

· Administrator
20,815 Posts
Hey Pal.....
I'm not a lobster aficionado, either dinning or raising, so ....uhhhhhh :unsure: ....what's the scoop on the 4 golf balls?
Hack

· Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just something for him to be active with Hack. From other videos and articles it was suggested having stuff to manipulate helped get his dexterity back. He is pretty good but noticeably clumsy with his big claws from not having used them. Not sure how much stimulation his little lobster brain needs but it would fill that void as well if there is a need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts