The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm going to get to the point here, this is my first saltwater tank, and I'm here for advice. I've picked out a tank, but have not bought it yet, and I've also decided on a couple of fish. I would like to make this a reef tank and have been researching constantly.

Here are the fish I would like to own for the tank
1) 2 black and white ocellaris clownfish
2) 1 blue hippo tang
3) 1 yellow tang
4) 1 royal gramma basslet
Possibly
1) 3 blue green chromis

I would also appreciate any advice on clean up crew, corals, liverock, fish etc... anything is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

·
Registered
249 Posts
hello and welcome. first off want to let you know the 2 different types of clowns may not work together. just an fyi. and what brand is the tank you are looking into? i myself have a 90 gallon bowfront and would likt to let you know now that if i could do it over again think i would go with a big cube or a wide rectangle tank because the curve of the tank makes it a bit harder to clean the algea off. just feel i could have got a better look with another but still like what i have so up to you. shoot me a message if you have any other questions/help.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello and welcome. first off want to let you know the 2 different types of clowns may not work together. just an fyi. and what brand is the tank you are looking into? i myself have a 90 gallon bowfront and would likt to let you know now that if i could do it over again think i would go with a big cube or a wide rectangle tank because the curve of the tank makes it a bit harder to clean the algea off. just feel i could have got a better look with another but still like what i have so up to you. shoot me a message if you have any other questions/help.
okay thank you, i will consider that

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Future live stock plans seem pretty good, but what I want to know is what equipment will you be using.

You said you have a tank in mind, what are the dimensions of it? Is it reef ready (drilled with an overflow)
What type of lighting will you be using?
Will you be using a protein skimmer?

The tank needs to be designed for what you want to stock it with.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Future live stock plans seem pretty good, but what I want to know is what equipment will you be using.

You said you have a tank in mind, what are the dimensions of it? I'm not quite sure of the dimensions
Is it reef ready (drilled with an overflow) Yes
What type of lighting will you be using? Not sure of the lighting, but the tank was used for a reef tank (in great condition, i've seen it myself) and comes with the lighting and the sump the previous owner used,(score!) all for $400
Will you be using a protein skimmer? YES!

The tank needs to be designed for what you want to stock it with.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sounds like it is a pretty good deal, depending on what equipment was being used. If you end up having to replace the lights, sump, and protein skimmer. Then it might have been a better deal to just buy a new tank. I am not trying to be a buzz kill I swear, I literally just dealt with this debate last week.

I was not able to find the perfect used tank, everything was lacking in one way or the other. Most setups I saw were in the 300 to 500 range, but when I accounted for the cost of replacing the light, or the skimmer, or the etc.... It was no longer a cheaper alternative to doing it from the ground up.

If possible, list all of the equipment and or pictures. Just to help ensure you get the best deal possible.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like it is a pretty good deal, depending on what equipment was being used. If you end up having to replace the lights, sump, and protein skimmer. Then it might have been a better deal to just buy a new tank. I am not trying to be a buzz kill I swear, I literally just dealt with this debate last week.

I was not able to find the perfect used tank, everything was lacking in one way or the other. Most setups I saw were in the 300 to 500 range, but when I accounted for the cost of replacing the light, or the skimmer, or the etc.... It was no longer a cheaper alternative to doing it from the ground up.

If possible, list all of the equipment and or pictures. Just to help ensure you get the best deal possible.
It all looks intack, but it doesn't come with a skimmer.
Oh and it's the lighting system without the lights

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Congrats on the nice find. A few suggestions i have...

The setup unfortunately is a little small for the blue hippo tang. They require a lot of swimming room to stay healthy and stressfree. Hense you will see a lot of posts with tangs with ick in too small of an environment. If you are determined to have 2 tangs in this tank, i would look at the kole tang or some of the other bristletooth family of tangs.

I also agree that sometimes 2 pairs of clowns do not work when they are fully mature.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the nice find. A few suggestions i have...

The setup unfortunately is a little small for the blue hippo tang. They require a lot of swimming room to stay healthy and stressfree. Hense you will see a lot of posts with tangs with ick in too small of an environment. If you are determined to have 2 tangs in this tank, i would look at the kole tang or some of the other bristletooth family of tangs.

I also agree that sometimes 2 pairs of clowns do not work when they are fully mature.
um well, a lot of sites said 75 is the minimum for a blue HIPPO tang, so it's staying (sorry not trying to come off rude, now i feel kinda bad). It is my favorite fish and every other tang (not including the blue powder, blue atlantic, blue hippo, yellow and purple tangs) are but ugly, most are brown and light black, not at all attractive to my eyes so deffinitly not an option

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Just saying....from liveaquaria.com

<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#cccccc cellPadding=3 width=340><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cfdfe4><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons </TD></TR><TR><TD>Care Level: Easy </TD></TR><TR><TD>Temperament: Peaceful </TD></TR><TR><TD>Reef Compatible: Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Max. Size: 1' </TD></TR><TR><TD>Color Form: Blue </TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet: Herbivore </TD></TR><TR><TD>Compatibility: View Chart </TD></TR><TR><TD>Origin: Fiji, Indonesia, Maldives, Solomon Islands </TD></TR><TR><TD>Family: Acanthuridae </TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>
What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

overview
The Blue Tang boasts a vibrant electric blue body dressed with bold black markings. In fact, the black that begins at the eyes, traces the dorsal line down to the tail, and circles back above the pectoral fin to create a unique shape reminiscent of a painter's palette. This marking is why the Blue Tang is also known as the Palette Surgeonfish. It is also called the Pacific Blue Tang, and Hepatus or Regal Tang. Regardless of common name, Paracanthurus hepatus fish is equal parts beauty and peacefulness that suits almost any large community marine aquarium.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Like I posted in another thread. I've seen a lot of 75s with blue and yellow tangs, just be prepared to give the blue away or sell it back to the LFS when it starts to get too big.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just saying....from liveaquaria.com

<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#cccccc cellPadding=3 width=340><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cfdfe4><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons </TD></TR><TR><TD>Care Level: Easy </TD></TR><TR><TD>Temperament: Peaceful </TD></TR><TR><TD>Reef Compatible: Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Max. Size: 1' </TD></TR><TR><TD>Color Form: Blue </TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet: Herbivore </TD></TR><TR><TD>Compatibility: View Chart </TD></TR><TR><TD>Origin: Fiji, Indonesia, Maldives, Solomon Islands </TD></TR><TR><TD>Family: Acanthuridae </TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>
What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

overview
The Blue Tang boasts a vibrant electric blue body dressed with bold black markings. In fact, the black that begins at the eyes, traces the dorsal line down to the tail, and circles back above the pectoral fin to create a unique shape reminiscent of a painter's palette. This marking is why the Blue Tang is also known as the Palette Surgeonfish. It is also called the Pacific Blue Tang, and Hepatus or Regal Tang. Regardless of common name, Paracanthurus hepatus fish is equal parts beauty and peacefulness that suits almost any large community marine aquarium.
okay, I've seen this, but a lot of times it just dpends on who you ask, turtles for example, a lot of people say you need 10 gallons for every inch of the turtle(s), but if you asked an expert they say it's 5 gallons per inch of the turtle, so this is probably a similar issue

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I posted in another thread. I've seen a lot of 75s with blue and yellow tangs, just be prepared to give the blue away or sell it back to the LFS when it starts to get too big.
Like I said earlier, the blue hippo tang is my favorite fish next to the black and white clownfish, and if I have to chose between blue hippo and yellow tang than blue hippo>>>>>>>>>>yellow tang, sorry it's my tank. Can anyone give me advice on something other than fish, like good beginner corals, or how muck live rock I should use, or

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Hippos are AWSOME. One of my favorite fish. I have a friend that owns a Aquarium store and he has a 72 bow set up as one of his displays. He has 1 Hippo and one clown (and a cleaner shrimp) they do very well together. The hippo is about 5 inches now and he will have to move it into a larger display pretty soon.
I think they do fine in a 72/75 although it's definately not recommended. The thing that I would caution is that by putting 2 hippos and 3 yellows in the tank they will be extremely stressed and you will probably battle ich non stop. I hate to say it but mixing this many tangs will more than likely result in the death of the fish and of course then you will be disapointed.
Don't get me wrong, I'm BIG rule breaker myself, but I just want to caution you so that you aren't dissapointed.
The rest of the plans look good. Gramma's have been known to be mildly aggressive so be careful with him too.
My first saltwater tank was a 72 bowfront as well. I LOVE the way they look and wish I hadn't sold mine. Let me know if you need any help setting it up. We are more than willing to give advise here at TRT.
Please keep us posted on the build. :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you plan on sps dominated or softies/lps? In that size tank I would probably do 60-90lbs of rock depending on how you want it to look.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hippos are AWSOME. One of my favorite fish. I have a friend that owns a Aquarium store and he has a 72 bow set up as one of his displays. He has 1 Hippo and one clown (and a cleaner shrimp) they do very well together. The hippo is about 5 inches now and he will have to move it into a larger display pretty soon.
I think they do fine in a 72/75 although it's definately not recommended. The thing that I would caution is that by putting 2 hippos and 3 yellows in the tank they will be extremely stressed and you will probably battle ich non stop. I hate to say it but mixing this many tangs will more than likely result in the death of the fish and of course then you will be disapointed.
Don't get me wrong, I'm BIG rule breaker myself, but I just want to caution you so that you aren't dissapointed.
The rest of the plans look good. Gramma's have been known to be mildly aggressive so be careful with him too.
My first saltwater tank was a 72 bowfront as well. I LOVE the way they look and wish I hadn't sold mine. Let me know if you need any help setting it up. We are more than willing to give advise here at TRT.
Please keep us posted on the build. :D
Um, I'm not quite sure where you got this number of tangs from? At the most I only planned one each, the grammas at my LFS are all In one 55, and theres 5 of them. There are no signs of aggresion(but i quite aware this doesn't mean there isn't) or any injuries. to me they seem docile

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you plan on sps dominated or softies/lps? In that size tank I would probably do 60-90lbs of rock depending on how you want it to look.
I really don't know which I should do, any suggestions for a beginner?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Um, I'm not quite sure where you got this number of tangs from? At the most I only planned one each, the grammas at my LFS are all In one 55, and theres 5 of them. There are no signs of aggresion(but i quite aware this doesn't mean there isn't) or any injuries. to me they seem docile

Oh man that is so funny. When I read your original post, I read the item number ie.... 1) 2) 3) 4) as your quantity. Sorry about that. :D

I have seen a couple of posts in the past where there was aggression but that certainly doen't mean that is always happens. It was just a heads up, something to watch for.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts