The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I decided to post our 73 gallon set-up in progress. with some piccies as they come up and when i'm not to embarresed to post them LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is our sump after Russ set it up. He's the mechanic of the project and just loves all the plumbing and such. The owner of our only LFS suggested to fill it with Algae and bio balls after alot of reading (mostly on the The Reef Tank) I decided to nix the Bio balls and use rubble. I kept the Algae though. (sorry the image is twisted)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang such a bummer the tanks actually been running for about a month now I've already got the rubble in the sump. I was typing as if I was just posting the new stuff happening with the tank. So what is the sump for if not for extra filtration? If it matters the flow is pretty high in there and the rocks are few and larger peices.

We stopped at a LFS about 2 hours away and met the craziest owner I have ever met. He sat there for about 10 minutes accusing the human race for screwing up nature and messing with the genetics of fish then for the next ten explains to us how he can change a fishes sex as ofen as he wants and can teach a carnivore to be a herbavore and vice versa.. Also said that tangs were sritctly carnivores :squint: Then we told him were not ready to add fish as of yet and he said "you can add everything at first..right when you put your tank up, add all your livestock all at once thats the best thing to do.." he basically told us we ****** up because we used reef crystals (and not the stuff he created) we used RO water. Put in small legged hermits and Turbo snails, and that we hung our lights to close to the tank. I really have no clue what can be done in the fish world but after being stuck 2 hours in there we really could care less. :freak:

Cameras out on batteries but i'll post some more pictures when i get some.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A sump has many functions:

Hide unsightly equipment; heaters, skimmer, ...............
Add water volume which adds stability to water parameters
The water traveling from overflow to sump adds oxygenation
And much more

There are a tone of good threads on sump functions here. I suggest a doing a search on them and staying out of that LFS.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I run both bio-balls and rubble in my sump with no problems. As with anything you have to keep it clean. If you dont your going to have a nitrate factory on your hands. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I run both bio-balls and rubble in my sump with no problems. As with anything you have to keep it clean. If you dont your going to have a nitrate factory on your hands. Good luck.
Why bother with the hassle of having to keep up with the cleaning of bio-balls and rubble in a sump if LR & LS in the display provide enough filtration to maintain system???

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Has nothing to do with how clean you keep it. Neither bioballs or liverock rubble will have an anaerobic area to house the bacteria that process nitrates. They will only house bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite and produce nitrates as the end product. A sump should be empty and easy to clean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts