The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all - as promised - I am back with some more questions. I just finished drilling out the back of the tank to allow for the Eclipse L (Eshopps) overflow kit. I am going to go with the Bean-Animal overflow piping with the stock 1" overflow drain tubes to my 20-gallon long sump... also please ignore the hideous bottom of the tank where the previous owner thought they could stop a leak by just caulking over the entire bottom brace as well as my repairs to the top brace that was cracked off completely.

The question is... two returns.. one return? 3/4" return piping? What size pump, what brands (Good, Better, Best, Best Value)?
Automotive exterior Material property Automotive lighting Bumper Gas
Light Hood Wood Bumper Floor

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
In my opinion one return will be fine. You can get the flow where you want it by using power heads/wave makers or a gyre generator.
the size return pump will depend on how much flow you want through the sump. Many people don’t want more flow than what their skimmer is rated for. I have been using a Danner Mag 7.5 for around 5 years there are many pumps better including adjustable flow DC pumps. My budget mandated the cheaper pump. It suggested for maximum flow to use a 1.5 inch return pipe. I also built a manifold with 6 pipes running into the tank that could be pointed to adjust flow pattern. This didn’t work as well as intended as after a while it was rather hard to turn them. Couldn’t afford line lock ends that would have been much easier.
remember when looking at pump flow you have flow loss according to height the water has to be pumped (head height) many pumps have charts that give flow at different head heights. This is what you go by not the pumps rated flow which is generally at 0 head height.

·
Premium Member
25,282 Posts
I agree with Jerry on this, only thing I would add is go a little larger even and put claves on the return line and also have a tee so you can divert some of the water back to the sump if you feel you are getting too much returning back to display. I always like having the option of feeding something else if the need comes up, like a I’ve sterilizer or reactor of some kind

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
You will also want to make the return line anti-siphon don't want the sump to overflow.
Melev's reef has good information how a sump works and sump design.
For some reason they don't have a link to the English version it is here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was thinking of using dual pumps (for redundancy) and running about half of my total gph on each return - the Eclipse L can handle 1000 gph overflow, but I was looking at somewhere near 700 gph total for the tank flow (at a 4.5' head height) and splitting that down to two 350 gph pumps (at 4.5' head height). Was going to run two Y-check valves just below each return bulkhead going into the tank (unless there is a cheaper and equally reliable solution).
Font World Schematic Handwriting Parallel

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I would put some kind of siphon break on the return heads. Check valves can and do fail. Then you have salt water all over the floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts