The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im setting this tank up in may, right now im just geting all the stuff for it.

With that said, i just thought id start a build threat now. I will include pictures of the stuff i purchase, im slowly buying dry rock(base rock) because i plan on useing about 50 lbs of base rock and 25-30lbs of live rock. Ill prolly get 1-k2 and 2-k3s.

So far i have picked up the tank, stand, quad t-5ho fixture, 5 lbs rock, hydrometer. here are a couple pics of the tank and light.

My Plans so far for corals and fish i want are as follows:

FISH:
Mandarin
Purple Firefish Goby
Powder blue tang
Powder brown tang
Cleaner Shrimp
Catalina Goby

CLEAN UP CREW:
Emerald crabs
Blue/red leg crabs
Snails

CORALS:
Hammer coral
Frogspawn
Octospawn
Monti cap
Brain coral
Duncan
Trumpet(blue,green)
Green star polyp
Tubbs blues zoa
La Laker zoa

Let me kno if you guys have any ideas for me.

Thanks for looking! when i pick up more rock ill post pics of the rock i have so far.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
1. dont get k2&3... get the evolutions.. they are much more efficient and slightly smaller... I would get 2 evo 750's, and 1 evo 1050... or maybe 3 evo 750's will do.

2. can you post a link to your fixture?? chances are, it will not be enough light for corals at the bottom of the tank... I have a 4 bulb T5HO fixture over my 55, and I cant put sps at the bottom if I want them to grow.

FISH:
Mandarin --- wait at least a year before you put him in, and you will likely have to feed it pods..
Purple Firefish Goby --- fine.
Powder blue tang --- no. he is wayy to big your your tank.
Powder brown tang --- he can do OK in your tank, but will likely want more swimming room.
Cleaner Shrimp --- fine.
Catalina Goby --- probably not wise in this aquarium...
I would go for some clowns, fire fish, 1 tang at most, watchman goby (many species), maybe a wrasse, etc...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im still looking into a sump and skimmer. dont kno for sure if im gonna have one or not yet. i was planning on waiting on the mandarin and with the lighting im not gonna have sps and if i do ill only have a couple on the top but i might be getting a 250 mh retro. and i really want a powder blue tang, ill prolly get a small one and by the time he gets big ill upgrade or sell him. thats the one fish i REALLY want.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i am getting the 250 watt mh tomarrow. and im gonna pick up some wood to start building the canopy for the tank. this should be fun. i havent decided how i want to build it yet to get into it. i might have the front flip open. idk yet.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Makes me miss my 72 BF I had. Here is a link to the build.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f7/my-new-72-gallon-bowfront-144629.html

As far as a skimme I would get the octo xp1000sss. you will have limited space in your sump and the space saver will be nice for you. I ran one on mine and it was great. I had a k4 and k3 evo on mine and I felt like it was way too little. You might want to go with 2 k4 and 1 k3. But you could start with one of each and add as needed. I also ran a mag 7 for the return pump and that worked out great.
If you do add a mandy down the road get the pods and seed the tank right away to let the population increase, this will help keep the mandy fat and happy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i saw your build thread. i was gonna ask u about the led light but u sold it to dj already..lol..i didnt pick up the mh. its nice but the bulb seemed REALLY dim and the reflector was a metal pos. it did have a icecap ballest and hamilton bulb tho. but i just dont kno. what do you think?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think im gonna just use the quad bulb t-5 til i have the money to just buy a mh fixture. the one im looking at has 2 250watt mh bulbs and 4 54watt t-5 bulbs. im not gonna have coral til prolly augest-september anyway so ill prolly beable to afford it by then neway..

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i ended up buying the 250 mh...it was too good of a deal to pass up.(well i think so anyways) so i got it. Im still debaiting on building a canopy or not. but for now im gonna build a "box" or "pendant" to hold the mh. ill put come pics up of it when i get it goin.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres the mh i got.
The ballest is in a cool little metal case with the on off switch on it.

let me kno what you guys think about it, if its good or not. ive never had mh before.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right the the reflector is a piece of metal. i built a fixture for it and ill upgrade the reflector when i find one that i want. i put 2 fans in the fixture to keep it cool. one blowing in and one blowing out. ill post pics tomarrow or monday. its not the BEST looking but it aint bad for a couple hours of throwing together . lol

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i said screw it and decided to build a canopy. so far i have built the frame and ill finish it in the next couple days.(smashed my finger) whats the best paint to use for he inside?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well here are some pics of the canopy i built and 20 lbs of base rock i picked up. let me kno what ya think..i got 4 t-5 ho bulbs and a 250 watt mh bulb. 4 fans to try and help with cooling.

let me kno what u guys think

1 - 20 of 24 Posts