The Reef Tank banner
20K views 103 replies 18 participants last post by  codyren 
#1 ·
So I got a price qoute on a 70 gallon tech tank with stand for $865 from my lfs. Before I take the plunge has anybody had any bad experiences with them? I've researched quite a bit and most people seem to really like them and I haven't found any complaints. This price also seems to be fairly good and the stores supplier has them in stock and is having a sale through the weekend at this price.

~Danny

#7 ·
edit before someone nails me; better in price than the ELOS stuff.
I'll be keeping an eye on you :lol:

seriously though, tech tanks are very nice and IMHO worth every penny. Yes, the front pane is made in starphire. No, they are not braceless. I like the ones with the cherry finish and with the matching stand looks just beautiful.
an option for you with the price would be to comb the for sale threads...tec tanks show up for sale every now and then, especially now in the summer with the heat and rising electrical costs forcing many newcomers out of the hobby.

#9 ·
I agree the cherry looks very nice but I went with black because I have darker furniture in the room the tank will be in and the cherry was well too cherry haha. And I'm glad you all will be watching because I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. This is my first reef build so it will be interesting. Luckily I'm in no rush and am not on a tight budget so I plan to take my time and do things right. I'm going to start getting pieces together soon so I'll keep the thread updated as I go and I'll throw some pics up when the tank gets here as well!

~Danny

#11 ·
Ordered the RO/DI setup today from The Filter Guys. Went with the ocean reef 5 stage with dual tds and 100 psi gauge.

Working on the sump setup atm, was thinking about ordering the Octopus 110 needlewheel skimmer. Any comments good or bad about this particular unit? Anybody have something they think might be better?

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=46

Also any recommendations on a place to buy live rock and sand? My lfs has plenty but was just curious if anyone has a reputable place they buy from that may not be as expensive. Most stores I have looked at seem to want around $5 a pound.

~Danny

#12 ·
that's a pretty light-weight skimmer, I'd probably step up to the NW-200 if you like the octopus line (they're definitely the most cost effective). If you want something with a bit more punch (arguably in performance, and definitely in the wallet), look at the EuroReef or ATI lines of skimmer. And if you really don't care about money, Deltec and BubbleKing, but I feel those cross the line of diminishing return (your money is better spent).

#13 ·
#14 ·
I have the Oceanic 90 gallon tech tank. Mine is open top, but there is a about a 2" plastic rim around the tops perimeter, it does tend to block some of the light about 4" down the glass where no coralline will grow. Here is a picture of my 20 month old reef. You can see the demarkation where the light is being blocked by the plastic brace on the back glass and the overflow.

For me this is not a problem because it's just on the glass, the rest of the tanks interior is well lit. It's a great tank for sure. I also have the black stand and the tank is trimmed in stainless steel. Sharp looking tank.

The stand is not made from hard wood. Sunshinereefer has the same tank as mine and had an issue with the stand supports getting wet and causing the particle board supports to come undone almost causing the tank to collapse. I have not had this problem, but is something to think about, especially if you are prone to overflows etc.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the info!! Chris I think your right about the skimmer being light-weight. It is suggested for up to 75 gallon tanks but I completely forgot to figure in the sump capacity which would put it above that mark.

Sarah thanks for the links and that is good to know that the 110 is doing the job on your 90. Did you mod it at all or is it all in the stock configuration? I'm thinking going up one size may be a good idea so I have plenty of room to play around.

Scott your tank looks great!!! The plastic around the edge is the Euro bracing I was talking about unless I am mistaken about what Euro bracing is. It seems logical that the light would be shadowed just under the brace but it seems it penetrates fine everywhere else. As for the stand I didn't think it would be hard wood but something cheaper, I'll just make sure to keep things dry down there. I appreciate the heads up though! What type of lighting do you have on yours BTW?

#16 ·
Thanks for all the info!! Chris I think your right about the skimmer being light-weight. It is suggested for up to 75 gallon tanks but I completely forgot to figure in the sump capacity which would put it above that mark.
Well, maybe Sarah has some real world experience. I've just always been in the habit of over-skimming, as opposed to listening to the manufacturer's rating. Even so, if you can swing a bigger skimmer, it'll be a good choice and even may work on a bigger tank for the eventual upgrade (though as clean as this system is playing out, that may not be a reality for a long time!).

#17 ·
Scott your tank looks great!!! The plastic around the edge is the Euro bracing I was talking about unless I am mistaken about what Euro bracing is. It seems logical that the light would be shadowed just under the brace but it seems it penetrates fine everywhere else. As for the stand I didn't think it would be hard wood but something cheaper, I'll just make sure to keep things dry down there. I appreciate the heads up though! What type of lighting do you have on yours BTW?
I just realized this might be your tank build thread. Maybe a mod can remove that picture. I just wanted to show you that the brace blocked some of the light spread.

I've running the Solaris I4 for about 8 months. Prior to that I had the Coralife, Aqua Light Pro.

#18 ·
Chris,

I am trying to make this build clean although I'd like to not break the bank entirely. I just don't want to cheap out on something and end up spending more to replace it later. It will be quite some time before I even think about an upgrade haha. I'm trying to convince the girly that a nano would be a nice quarantine tank to keep in the bedroom haha. Not sure she's entirely convinced. I agree with you as well that overskimming is probably the way to go.

Scott,

Holy crap those lights are expensive haha. Looking at other tanks with them they are amazing though. What size fixture do you have?

~Danny

#20 ·
I don't see the 200 on the Octopus sight but they do have a 150 which seems like it would be more than enough for a 70 gallon plus sump. Anyone have any comments or concerns about this skimmer?

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=47

As for the lights I love the look of those LED's but way out of the price range atm. The tank is 36" wide so any suggestions on lighting fixtures for a mixed reef with a few clams fish etc? Without getting too carried away on price that is, either prebuilt fixture or DIY. My friend is an electritian so wiring stuff up isn't a problem if it can save a lot of money.

~Danny

#22 ·
I like the Coralife pro. I'm leaning towards that light setup atm. Is the 150W strong enough or should I be leaning towards the 250?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar...ting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_pro.html

I think I have seen them for less but that page shows both units.

As for the skimmer I am thinking the Octopus 150 will do the trick, again if anyone has any horror stories please feel free to share them haha.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=47

I am planning on making a DIY sump based on plans from Melevs Reef. Something like this one.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/sump_23g.html

With an Eheim 1260 or 1262 Return pump.

Sarah, I like both the Liveaquaria Lalo LR and the Pacific East Tonga and Fiji LR. I may get some of each. Thinking bout 90lbs with a some in the Fuge. I'd like to have a variety of colors and shapes in the rock and they all seem to have that.

Alright so far that is what I have come up with and I think it will probably be a while before I get it all together. Please hit me with your comments or suggestions on the stuff I listed as well as the stuff I still need to get. I need all the help you can give =)

~Danny

#23 ·
Before I went LED I had the Coralife Pro fixture and I really think it a sleek, modern design. In fact I liked its styling better than the Solaris!

Are you considering the model with 2-150W MH's? If so that should be plenty for a 75.

I have heard good and bad things about the Octopus line of skimmers. Have you considered the ASM or Euro-Reef lines? It might be a good idea to compare and contrast.

No better place for DIY than Melev's site. I've often got a lot of information from it!

#24 ·
I haven't seen a model with 2-150's. They do make a single 150 and a single 250. This is the 150. They both claim to be good for a 24" deep tank with SPS, LPS and softies.....

http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualight_Pro_Metal_Halide_36_inch_150W_Coralife_p/res53504.htm

I also saw this setup and thought it may work nicely as well.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Outer_Orbit_T5_36_inch_150W_Current_USA_p/rcu01071.htm

The ASM-G1x may not be a bad choice.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=550

or the Euro Reef 135 but that seems a bit pricey unless it is really worth the extra money I would rather spend it somewhere else. If it is a world of difference maybe then.

http://www.freshmarine.com/euro-reef-rs-135.html

~Danny

#25 ·
I like my euro-reef RS250, but you're right on the price. Again, the Octo NW200 is a very popular and inexpensive needlewheel design, but I'd be the 150 would do well on that size tank. I've never been super impressed with the ASM stuff, but maybe it's a good solution in this case. I'd still probably lean towards the Octo over the ASM. The reason to go with EuroReef is that they spend a lot of effort into matching their pumps to skimmers, as well as in the design of the impellers. With the Octo or ASM skimmer, you're getting something that's got a lot less engineering behind it, probably near identical, and not worth the extra cost for the ASM. But that's just my impression of the companies.

For that depth, I'd probably lean towards 250W lighting. Is there a strong reason to stick with 150? Obviously heating and energy consumption come to mind, but for hardware there's no real savings for going to the lower powered system.

#26 ·
I think your right about the skimmer, the 150 should be more than enough and is reasonably priced. If I don't like it I can always DIY one or upgrade to the Euro later.

As far as the lights go I would think 250 would be better for light penetration. I have read of people that have to keep certain corals near the surface because the lights don't penetrate deep enough. I would like to avoid that problem if possible and the 250 seems like it would accomplish that.

~Danny

#27 ·
My bad, I was thinking of the 48" model. If you're going to keep SPS, you will want to keep them near the upper part of the reef and the softies nearer the bottom because that is more in keeping with their natural locations. With 250 watts you will most likely need a chiller or the use of evaporative chilling, in which case top off is going to be imperative.

You may want to consider that over equiping your tank can be counter productive and will present greater challenges and require more costly equipment to maintain stability, the pinnacle of our hobby!

#29 ·
So I picked up the tank today. Arrived right when the guy at my LFS said it would. Looks great and is very heavy haha. Needed help getting it into the house. Other than that here are some pics. The RO/DI should be here tomorrow and it's time to start buying parts and making the sump!!!!!

Lots of pics of an empty tank I know but I'm excited =)

~Danny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.