The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Big fish in a small pond.
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a price qoute on a 70 gallon tech tank with stand for $865 from my lfs. Before I take the plunge has anybody had any bad experiences with them? I've researched quite a bit and most people seem to really like them and I haven't found any complaints. This price also seems to be fairly good and the stores supplier has them in stock and is having a sale through the weekend at this price.

~Danny

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I don't know about "tech tanks" but that seems really expensive for a tank that size. I got my 90 gallon reef ready AGA tank for less than $300. Is there something special about their tanks?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Hoang, I think the tech use low-iron glass and are braceless, which makes them good for open top designs. If so, then I would probably be conned into buying that setup. Not the cheapest, but better than the ELOS stuff and a pretty nice option.

edit before someone nails me; better in price than the ELOS stuff.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered the tank last night. I called every other store in the area and only one came close to that price. Most wanted over a thousand for the tank and stand so I think the price was right and the shops supplier has it in stock so it will be here next week. Now I just have to buy everything else LOL.

~Danny

·
Registered
151 Posts
good luck! i have a 90 gallon tech tank and LOVE it!!! the seams are beautiful and the front pane looks super nice! im going to watch here!! good luck with the build!

·
Registered
208 Posts
edit before someone nails me; better in price than the ELOS stuff.
I'll be keeping an eye on you :lol:

seriously though, tech tanks are very nice and IMHO worth every penny. Yes, the front pane is made in starphire. No, they are not braceless. I like the ones with the cherry finish and with the matching stand looks just beautiful.
an option for you with the price would be to comb the for sale threads...tec tanks show up for sale every now and then, especially now in the summer with the heat and rising electrical costs forcing many newcomers out of the hobby.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree the cherry looks very nice but I went with black because I have darker furniture in the room the tank will be in and the cherry was well too cherry haha. And I'm glad you all will be watching because I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. This is my first reef build so it will be interesting. Luckily I'm in no rush and am not on a tight budget so I plan to take my time and do things right. I'm going to start getting pieces together soon so I'll keep the thread updated as I go and I'll throw some pics up when the tank gets here as well!

~Danny

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered the RO/DI setup today from The Filter Guys. Went with the ocean reef 5 stage with dual tds and 100 psi gauge.

Working on the sump setup atm, was thinking about ordering the Octopus 110 needlewheel skimmer. Any comments good or bad about this particular unit? Anybody have something they think might be better?

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=46

Also any recommendations on a place to buy live rock and sand? My lfs has plenty but was just curious if anyone has a reputable place they buy from that may not be as expensive. Most stores I have looked at seem to want around $5 a pound.

~Danny

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
that's a pretty light-weight skimmer, I'd probably step up to the NW-200 if you like the octopus line (they're definitely the most cost effective). If you want something with a bit more punch (arguably in performance, and definitely in the wallet), look at the EuroReef or ATI lines of skimmer. And if you really don't care about money, Deltec and BubbleKing, but I feel those cross the line of diminishing return (your money is better spent).

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the Oceanic 90 gallon tech tank. Mine is open top, but there is a about a 2" plastic rim around the tops perimeter, it does tend to block some of the light about 4" down the glass where no coralline will grow. Here is a picture of my 20 month old reef. You can see the demarkation where the light is being blocked by the plastic brace on the back glass and the overflow.

For me this is not a problem because it's just on the glass, the rest of the tanks interior is well lit. It's a great tank for sure. I also have the black stand and the tank is trimmed in stainless steel. Sharp looking tank.

The stand is not made from hard wood. Sunshinereefer has the same tank as mine and had an issue with the stand supports getting wet and causing the particle board supports to come undone almost causing the tank to collapse. I have not had this problem, but is something to think about, especially if you are prone to overflows etc.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info!! Chris I think your right about the skimmer being light-weight. It is suggested for up to 75 gallon tanks but I completely forgot to figure in the sump capacity which would put it above that mark.

Sarah thanks for the links and that is good to know that the 110 is doing the job on your 90. Did you mod it at all or is it all in the stock configuration? I'm thinking going up one size may be a good idea so I have plenty of room to play around.

Scott your tank looks great!!! The plastic around the edge is the Euro bracing I was talking about unless I am mistaken about what Euro bracing is. It seems logical that the light would be shadowed just under the brace but it seems it penetrates fine everywhere else. As for the stand I didn't think it would be hard wood but something cheaper, I'll just make sure to keep things dry down there. I appreciate the heads up though! What type of lighting do you have on yours BTW?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Thanks for all the info!! Chris I think your right about the skimmer being light-weight. It is suggested for up to 75 gallon tanks but I completely forgot to figure in the sump capacity which would put it above that mark.
Well, maybe Sarah has some real world experience. I've just always been in the habit of over-skimming, as opposed to listening to the manufacturer's rating. Even so, if you can swing a bigger skimmer, it'll be a good choice and even may work on a bigger tank for the eventual upgrade (though as clean as this system is playing out, that may not be a reality for a long time!).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Scott your tank looks great!!! The plastic around the edge is the Euro bracing I was talking about unless I am mistaken about what Euro bracing is. It seems logical that the light would be shadowed just under the brace but it seems it penetrates fine everywhere else. As for the stand I didn't think it would be hard wood but something cheaper, I'll just make sure to keep things dry down there. I appreciate the heads up though! What type of lighting do you have on yours BTW?
I just realized this might be your tank build thread. Maybe a mod can remove that picture. I just wanted to show you that the brace blocked some of the light spread.

I've running the Solaris I4 for about 8 months. Prior to that I had the Coralife, Aqua Light Pro.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chris,

I am trying to make this build clean although I'd like to not break the bank entirely. I just don't want to cheap out on something and end up spending more to replace it later. It will be quite some time before I even think about an upgrade haha. I'm trying to convince the girly that a nano would be a nice quarantine tank to keep in the bedroom haha. Not sure she's entirely convinced. I agree with you as well that overskimming is probably the way to go.

Scott,

Holy crap those lights are expensive haha. Looking at other tanks with them they are amazing though. What size fixture do you have?

~Danny

·
Registered
406 Posts
Danny, I have the 48" Solaris I4.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see the 200 on the Octopus sight but they do have a 150 which seems like it would be more than enough for a 70 gallon plus sump. Anyone have any comments or concerns about this skimmer?

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=47

As for the lights I love the look of those LED's but way out of the price range atm. The tank is 36" wide so any suggestions on lighting fixtures for a mixed reef with a few clams fish etc? Without getting too carried away on price that is, either prebuilt fixture or DIY. My friend is an electritian so wiring stuff up isn't a problem if it can save a lot of money.

~Danny

1 - 20 of 104 Posts