The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was at my LFS and scored a 65g reef ready tank, pre driller built in over flow and return, and overflow box, a Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights ( as its labeled on fosterandsmithaquatics.com, $225 new) 36", glass tops and pine stand. all for $400. but anyway, my question. I have the Aquaticlife 6x 39w T5 light with 4 lunar LED's. i had it on my 40g breeder and im upgrading to this tank for lots of reasons. but will the Aquaticlife with 3 18,000k lights and 3 420/440 nm actinics be enough light? i want to go full reef, softies, SPS, LPS, a clam or two. things of that nature. shuld the light be enough?

kind of a dumb ? but i dont know all the rules laws and junk on lights, and dont want to sink twice what i paid for all of this on MH or LED if i dont need too:lol:
thanks in advance

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you are deeper than 24", we may have a problem. typically I see MH's on tanks deeper than the standard 21" or 22" tanks.

From my understanding the T5 HO have a hard time penetrating that deep with usable light. High demanding animal will not receive enough Par if sitting on bottom, such as a clam.

That's my understading.

I switched from a tall 65 to a standard 75 for several reasons. More surface area, longer horizontal run, less depth, more room for sump underneath...off subject, sorry.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that makes sense actually, pretty helpful, because i do have a JBJ k-2 150watt MH light, would that work ok in unison with the T5? since all 36" fixtures i see have 1 150w mh light as it is, i could run the t5 to start, mh to come on for say 6 hours go out, then the rest of the lights an hour later.... just a thought.

·
Registered
773 Posts
well that makes sense actually, pretty helpful, because i do have a JBJ k-2 150watt MH light, would that work ok in unison with the T5? since all 36" fixtures i see have 1 150w mh light as it is, i could run the t5 to start, mh to come on for say 6 hours go out, then the rest of the lights an hour later.... just a thought.
I don't think I'm qualified to answer that, as I know very little about MH, but it does sound better, if you have a deeper tank. One bulb may not be enough if you have a center brace, but I don't recall my 65 having one. My 75 has a wide center brace.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah this 65 does have a center brace, but i dont think its for support, just to be able to have the two glass tops on instead. but if thats the case, i might get a second jbj and then just get two of the single bulb glo- t5's to put an actinic in each for evening light and before the MH come on. put one mh on either side of the brace. might be cheaper then buying a whole 36" with one MH and being stuck with it getting covered by the center support

1 - 5 of 5 Posts