The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60 gallon hexagon aquarium that i want to set up a Fish Only With Live Rock environment in..... Will the Fluval 306 canister, rated for up to 70 gallons, be enough to properly filter this tank? or should i go for the 100 gallon 406 canister? is it possible to have filtration that is too powerful/harmful to my fish?

·
Registered
100 Posts
More is better. you want to turn over about 4 times the volume of your tank an hour. Even the larger one wouldn't generate to much flow or over filter. Thought about a skimmer at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skimmer

Yes, I do want to get a "hang on back" skimmer as well, no sure what type/brand would be best though. I was also told that the live rock/sand would help in filtration too?

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Are you planning on having a sump on this tank? Hang on back skimmers are significantly less efficient than in-sump skimmers because of their body shape and restrictions on body and pump size. Either of those canisters will work for a FOWLR tank, but if you can afford the bigger one, go for it. Or, you can go for a different kind of system, where you don't have any mechanical filtration (like a canister) and only have a skimmer and live rock. I run two reef tanks like this and both are successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts