The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but I've been hired to build a 6000+ gallon system.
I maintained a 5000 gallon fish only system, so I have SOME experience though I did not design or build any of it.
The tank is in a mansion that changed owners before it was far enough along for anyone to move in. The new owner now has a huge tank with no plumbing, etc.
Just an industrial size chiller, 2 massive sumps, and a mixing vat.
It's up to me to buy the rest of the equipment and get it running within 2 years time (a loose time-line for when the mansion is finished).
Where do I buy giant skimmers, pumps, etc.?
Thanks for any input!
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Floor Flooring
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Floor Flooring

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe you guys could help me with a list of needed equipment. One of my tasks (if I land the bid for the job) is to create a list of everything I would need to buy in order to get the system up and running. This would include tentative pricing.
So far I have:
2 protein skimmers (size to be determined)
4 main pumps (2 in use, 2 backup)
Full quarantine tank system including medications
High end test kit/machine
Salinity testers
2 Reverse Osmosis systems, one for the salt water vat and one for the freshwater vat
1 vat for fresh water, there is already a large vat on site that I assume the original owner ordered for mixing salt water
Roll of filter floss
Several pallets of salt
Small spare pumps
Refrigerator for fish food storage
Lighting system. I think the original owner intended to use metal halide though I will try to convince the new guy to go with LED. The builder told me the lights he chose were going to create a lot of heat so they put in a ventilation system and ordered the huge chiller.
Step Ladder
Extension cords
Possible air pump for scuba to clean the front glass.
Air pumps
Battery backup for air pumps. There is a natural gas generator on site so if the power goes out it should be restored quickly.
Filter socks
Phosphate removal media
Air sep machine to create oxygen for ozone. We used ozone at the restaurant. Apparently, it helps with water clarity.
Live rock or regular rock once we get things up and running. Still have no idea what kind of livestock he wants though I am going to try to advise him not to get too crazy.

This is the start of my tentative list. Any input is appreciated. Next time I'm there I will try to get more pics. The builder didn't want me to take too many and told me to keep it private, no facebook, etc.

Thanks for any help/advice/interest.

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,970 Posts
Everything in that size tank would be specialized equipment. It’s not off the shelf type stuff. It built to spec. Everything from the automation, skimmers and rest of the equipment.

· Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,894 Posts
I am thinking you may be into the range where pool pumps set up on a manifold would be a consideration. If you do go with two redundant pumps make sure to either rotate the pumps that are active or run your back up pumps for 5 minutes a month to keep the seals healthy. Your pipe sizing is going to be important.

· Registered
9,012 Posts
The best thing to do is get blueprints of the tank components already purchased and talk to the people who manufacture the equipment for public aquariums. As stated all of the equipment will have to be custom built by people who know large systems. They will also be able to tell you exactly what you need for a system of this size.
There is a world of difference between the equipment used on large hobbiest’s tanks and on something of this scale.
Consult people who build the equipment. That is the best thing that you can do.

· Super Moderator
33,970 Posts
I did many large systems back in the day of installing custom set ups in businesses. The largest one we did bid on was 9000 gallons, it was back around 05. It came out over a million dollars. We didn’t win but a friend did. He still does the maintenance on it now. Back then it was 4500.00 a month maintenance. I imagine much more nowadays. I didn’t ask last year when I saw him.

· Registered
9,012 Posts
Oh yes, since the home is still under construction you need to find out what power you need and where then have the electrician install it. Extension cords are not a good option.
220v pumps will use less energy than 120v. But then that will be pretty much up to the equipment manufacturers. Don’t try to go cheap as that will cause problems in the long run.

· Reef Cave
480g mixed reef!
416 Posts
I just built a skimmer that has the potential to support upwards of most likely about a 4-6 gallon system. Lots of time and thinking goes into this.

The skimmer body holds about 30 gallons. It's about 6 ft tall. And runs with multiple venturi pumps.

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the replies.
I will definitely hire an electrician and plumber for the setup.
I have reached out to 2 aquarium supply companies in regard to the skimmers and such. Hoping to hear back soon.
The manufacturer of the tank suggested 2 companies that can help with setup who I need to contact still.
I am dive certified, so I won't need to worry about that.
Thanks again. I'll update this thread with more pics as I can. Hopefully I will see this project through to the end. They want to hire me to run it as well.

· Super Moderator
33,970 Posts
Tell you one thing, be nice to have that size tank in your house. When you get into building a huge tank in your home and even designing a home around it. You have money that’s for sure.

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell you one thing, be nice to have that size tank in your house. When you get into building a huge tank in your home and even designing a home around it. You have money that’s for sure.
The original owner put 28 million into the house. He was the fish guy. He sold out before it was finished, now the new owner gets the tank whether he likes it or not. I haven't met him yet, but it sounds like he's on board. We'll see how much he likes fish once the estimates start coming in.

· Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,894 Posts
Something you may not have considered.
Depending on where you are you may need a contractor’s license, a plumber license or pay a licensed plumber to do the plumbing.
You make a good point Jerry. I am not sure about regulations there. Typically only potable water supplies and drains are regulated and require a licenced plumber. The piping we typically install on our tanks is not connected and a stand alone system that is not in the scope of plumbing regulations.

His drains will most likely be an indirect waste & not physiucally connected to the sewer. The water supply may require a plumber but anything past where the RO/DI hooks up should not be regulated. That said, with a system that large it would be wise to have a plumber or other licenced contractor make the piping connections to avoid liability in regards to insurance.

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've spoken with a company that does large systems. I will most likely need help designing the LSS so I'm going to find out what it will cost to hire them outright or as consultants.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts