The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the LFS yesterday because I intended to buy a 6 Line Wrasse. They had a nice big one, about 2", but it was not moving and had its mouth at the top of the water the whole time I was there. It would come down for about 5 seconds and then go right back up...any idea what might cause this? Is he sick? They (the person at the store) tried to feed him too, but he would not eat live brine. One other note, they just got it from their distributer on Monday, so it was only in the tank for one day.

My curiosity has me...any thoughts? :idea:

Frank

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Hold off on him thats not normal behavior for that fish.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Yeah never buy fish that doesnt eat. It could be thier water is off the fish could be sick there are tons of reasons why he would act that way.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Normally the six lines are at the bottom or mid-part of the tank, imho, you shouldn't buy him. Sounds like he's either still adjusting or has some breathing/gill issues.

HHC

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check on him over the weekend...if he is doing better I will re-evaluate. He is beautiful...nice size, fat belly...looks healthy except for the whole sucking air from the surface thing :help:

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
A lot of LFS's aren't very good with acclimation. It's a "Float the Bag, then drop them in" kinda thing. He'll either adjust or die. Good call! Don't buy him until he's eating normal and swimming like a fishie should! :agree:

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
There will be another 6-line with your name on it. :) Give this one a pass. I love those fish too; always so active in the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts