The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to establish pods in my main tank with little success (I have noticed several in my sump). I have been supplying the tank with pods harvested from a friends tank (he has a seemingly endless supply). I have noticed that when I put them in the tank, the 6-line wrasse eats several of them. I understand that 6-lines eat any small critter like a pod, but I always assumed that pods could survive in a tank with a wrasse through large reproductive numbers.

Is this a wrong assumption? Can a single 6-line wipe out a pod population in a 50g?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andrew

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
How long has the tank been running? 6-lines live pods and if the pod population isnt established its possible your numbers will stay low. Have you examined your tank at night with the lights off using a flashlight?

·
Registered
657 Posts
that's a good point, There has been times I thought my pods were gone only to find them everywhere when I looked at the tank late at night with a red lens flashlight.

jd

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses...I have looked at night and I will see a couple pods. No other pod eaters to my knowledge...a maroon clown, royal gramma, and a dwarf lion.

The other issue is I only feed 1-2 times per week, so the 6-line might be eating everything in sight towards the end of a food cycle.

Thanks again,

Andrew

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you see a few you have many many more, Also pod populations seem to grow and die back on their own in cycles. Sometimes it seemed my tank was over run with them then months later I could hardly find any.

jd

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
also there are many areas that pods live that you cannot see such as inside the rocks and under rocks in the sandbed. These areas are also safe places for pods to live and reproduce

·
11,345 Posts
Shack said:
if you are only feeding 1-2 times a week the clown and the gramma will eat the pods...mine do.
agree. I let my clown and sixline have one cube of mysis a week, and they are both fat and happy. The mysis is just a treat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts