The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm working on my 120g and have a spare 55g tank laying around. I was thinking about using the 55 as a sump. I shouldn't need to drill it, as I am going to use a mag 24 as a return. Questions?

I will have the sump in the basement 7 feet below the floor (12 feet below the top of the tank).....is a mag 24 adequate?

What kind of mods will I need to make to the 55g....acrylic baffles, etc to limit bubbles?

Thanks

Pat;)

·
Registered
808 Posts
call drsfostersmith.com to get the web address for mag pumps to check pressure and head to your tank. it does not sound like thats enough pressure though. youll probably want to look up some pressure pumps like iwaki or little giant for that much height. if the tank is drilled then maybe you can set it up to only need 10 feet of height. or put the 55 on a stand 4 feet off the ground. or a combo

danner mfg makes mag's
play with that name to find the web site maybe, dannermfg.com?

good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you go to www.aquaticeco.com they have the head vs. flow rate of just about every pump you could want. Figure your head (be sure to add in those 90 degreee angles and such) and then select which pump at your head will produce the flow rate you are after.
If you can't find the estimated head loss due to bends in your plumbing. I can break open the fluids book to find out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
From experience with mag pumps and such, you would be much much better off going with an IWAKI or a Mak pump in this situation and having the 55 drilled at the local glass shop for around $20

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
dont know much about which pump would be better.

but i can say that stoney is on the money with the glass drilling.

i just had my 75 drilled, and they charged $8 bucks per hole. not bad imo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.