The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lemme see...got wiped on a move last August with a rental truck with failed AC going on an eighteen hour drive through Vegas and the desert...cured my rock and got going again on a mountain with just a clean up crew and two percs..then moved again my my tank is in a rubbermaid container.

The 55g is spit shined with the sand bed ditched and I am soaking the Remora and Mag 3 in vinegar and cleaned up the 4 x 65w with moonlight PC hood. I'll probably let the rocks perc another couple of weeks but put them in the tank ramping up the lighting just to be safe. There are still quite a few snails and hermits in the trash can here and there.

Looks like nothing more than an itty bitty cycle but got a chance to do it right.

My time frame is to add a full clean up crew in a month then after two more weeks might put a fish in there. Lighting is 6 hours blue, 4 hours daylight right now.

Anyway see any major flaws in this plan?

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Vince,

Had no money, no support or no way to do anything but let my rocks and cleaning crew just vacation.

Now this hobby is wide open again and I get to do anything under the sun, but won't get in a hurry. A fish a month and I already know that lighting can host Xenia's and softies just fine.

The CLS though with a SCWD will be a lot better and prettier than powerheads all over.

Also, I am looking forward to having seven or eight different shrimp again...love them more than fish.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Perry, Thats an idea, The Fish a month club, Clean up crew for your tank 99 cent. all You agee to do is buy 12 in the next 36 months at club price. We have a selection of the month too, Better send card back and check off you don't want it or You may end up with a trigger in you nano. LOL

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope one thing I am buying again first is the 500+ book (mine vanished) and the five fish will be Bangaii Cardinals or Royal Grammas or percs or a LMB. Just because I lead a wild life does not mean that my tank is going to reflect that.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D

congrats!

I take it you have ro/di...

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tdwyatt said:
:D

congrats!

I take it you have ro/di...
Well RO...it is a Spectrapure and solved a lot of problems. My trash can fish tank is all RO 100% with Instant Ocean to 1.024 sg. I am making mix at 1.024 in the tank now to get ready to move the rock into but the stuff in the can is pretty clean still if the half full aquarium is not enough with roughly 75 lbs of rock. There are tons of critters here and there as well.

Next weekend's project is making little stands for the rock if I get it all arranged this weekend.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So are dual one inch outlets going to be enough for a 55 for flow? The CLS pump will be mag 9-12 something with a SCWD. I'll hide a couple of maxijets behind the rock to keep the crud off the sandbed.

I have a 55 gov't issue tank.

·
Super Moderator
27,070 Posts
Perry - this thread got buried and I missed it. Way to go on bringing your 55 back to life :beer:

Vinnie - love the fish-a-month club :funny:

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cath said:
Perry - this thread got buried and I missed it. Way to go on bringing your 55 back to life :beer:

Vinnie - love the fish-a-month club :funny:
Should I throw in food?

All I brought up were some stupid rocks and a few clean up crew survivors.

BTW Alphanso made killer Chili Kilis for my birthday with grilled jalepeno's along with some fresh caught trout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts