Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Buy the Hood from LRN (done)

2.) Buy skilter 400 ( other reasons for this.. relax guys)**1

3.) Buy 50# of Marco Rock
- epoxy the rocks with plenty of swim throughs, places for coral
and easy to clean around

4.) Fill the tank and fire it off.. let it cycle.

5) begin the build on the refugium. add when done (hopefully a 20L doctored up my way.. lol.)

6) Add heater

7.) order lights from reefgeeks.com
- T-5HO retro light set

8.) Once cycled add Astra Snails and Brownleg hermits

9.) Begin adding fish and coral as the tank can handle it.

FISH & INVERTS: just haven't figured out how many of each yet..

Cleaner Shrimp
Bubble Tip Anemone
White Anemone Crab
Emerald Crab
Maxima Clam - 1st Grade Purple (need to read up on more)
Maxima Clam - 1st Grade Blue (need to read up on more)
Jawfish
Blue Reef Chromis
Midas Blenny (jury is still out on this one)
Longnose Hawkfish (need to read up on)
False Percula Clownfish (wild caught - i have false percs now)
Peppermint Shrimp
Astrea Snail
Yellow Stripe Clingfish (if i actually brave ordering from liveaquaria.com)
Green Mandarin (depending on if i can learn and am successful with copopod project)
Brownleg Hermit Crabs (these seem to be very peaceful unlike redleg and blue leg)
Yellow Tail Damsel ( i have one now and i really enjoy it. my favorite of my critters)
Firefish

CORAL:

Caulastrea Candy Cane Coral (LPS)
Green Bubble Coral (LPS)
Physogyra Pearl Bubble Coral (LPS)
White Bubble Coral (LPS)
The Montipora Branched Coral (SPS)
The Porites Coral (SPS)
The Birdsnest Coral (SPS)
Stylophora Coral (SPS)
Hydnophora Horn Coral (SPS)
Neon Acropora Corals (SPS)

10.) Begin culturing (breeding whatever) copopods (found website on how to do that)

11.) Wait 6 months add clams

12.) remember to post many pictures

13.) ask many questions ..

**1 The main reason i am getting the skilter 400 is for the hermit tank. just depends on how much

filtration i am going to need. i may just use the 250 i have laying around and leave the 400 on the 55 gallon tank for machanical filtration and added skimmer. i also know most people think they are junk but i know how to make them work great. for about 2 or 3 bucks..

**2 i don't know if all the critters are going to be okay with eachother just yet. its just a start list. just as the coral. i haven't made up my mind on live stock. i figured if i had a plan of action i may actually do something. this may not be the complete order in which i get things. just depends of finances and where i will be.

**3 this is just a plan of action. hopefully comes true. we shall see. it won't be until January that i can fire it off anyway. so let just hope the heavens have punished me enough over the last year.. lol and will smile on me.

Other notes:

may build rock lifts. (reading Hop's thread i just may)
looking at a hob skimmer ( takes up less room in the refugium)
need to get cal / alk test kits
need refractometer
need power heads (something good that won't break me)

anything i am missing? just a side note... this isn't written in stone and not in exact order. just something

so i will have to get something done. lol.. or i will never get it done.. or really started.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
dump the refugium. i am guessing you are going to be having a DSB in the display. you will want a place where all of the detritus can settle out. an empty sump is the best place. if not you are just going to be starting a ticking phosphate bomb.

G~

·
My Kitty Cleans My Glass!
974 Posts
definitely sounds like a good plan. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
In for the ride.. love to see others 55g go into action. Interesting idea to use macro to build swim throughs. Hadn't thought of that.
-I got a Refractometer from ebay.. great buy.
-Koralia powerheads-love the 2 in my tank. should have gone with the 2 or 3's
-Great plan and have fun.

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why so little rock?(not enough to handle that load).
its just to start. the idea is to have something to start and not go bankrupt in the process.. lol. i am going to keep my eyes out for more local reefers who may break down tanks and sell off their stuff. i just picked up 3 large rocks very cheep this weekend. hoping i may be able to get more as soon as this comming weekend.

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In for the ride.. love to see others 55g go into action. Interesting idea to use macro to build swim throughs. Hadn't thought of that.
-I got a Refractometer from ebay.. great buy.
-Koralia powerheads-love the 2 in my tank. should have gone with the 2 or 3's
-Great plan and have fun.
so whatcha think 600's?? or the 850's.. just checked marinedepot.com .. only $5 difference. just don't want to over do it. i think 2 ph's should be good..

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dump the refugium. i am guessing you are going to be having a DSB in the display. you will want a place where all of the detritus can settle out. an empty sump is the best place. if not you are just going to be starting a ticking phosphate bomb.

G~
i don't think i am going with a dsb. i only have about 120 +/- 10 lbs of sand. the rock lifts just depends on materials. so far i have only checked out one of the local HD's and their plumbing department bites. i can't find what i need in 3 or 4 inch.. just 2 inch. i may be going with a shallow bed.

i am really leaning toward the no sand fuge with just cheato in it. easier to clean. and some place to put critters not behaving. i have had to do that in the past. worked out great.

i do need to get a TDS meter. thanks for reminding me.. ah.. see.. i knew there was something i was missing..

and since you brought up phosphates.. i wonder if there is a way to "cook" sand like cooking rock??

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well.. looks like my plans got redone.. lol.. i ended up with lps and softies for coral.. hermits all sizes.. and i just finished moving everything to the 55 gallon tank.. its amazing how easy it is to change ones mind in this hobby.. still wants some sps though.. lol..

·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well.. what i ended up doing with this tank.. lol..

4 x 54 watt t-5ho retro kit ..
asm-gx1 skimmer
2 x hydor korila 2 power heads
lost count of the rock poundage.. lol..
built the spray bar
the sump/fuge will have to get a picture of .
rio 2100 return.

coral.. well.. let me see..

rock full of mushrooms. (don't feel like counting.. just say lots.. lol..)
5 or 6 kenya trees
3 hammers ? (i think they are all hammers.. lol.)
1 frog spawn (possibly 2 have to check with LRN who i got them from..)
1 bubble coral
1 devils hand that i think i am going to give away
some zoo's

fish..

just say a bunch of clowns ..
a few chromis
scooter blenny
bicolor blenny
a bunch of hermits of all sizes..

and yes.. i am over stocked on fish. will be setting up another tank soon for my daughters. anyway. will be taking more pictures another time.

·
Dazed & confused
328 Posts

G~
feeling like an idiot, what's a DSB?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Looks great Chris! Keep up the good work!

BTW .... my those are beautiful Black Percs you got there. Pretty nice chromis too! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts