The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reef-a-holic
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of switching over to a 55 gallon. I plan on gettin about 30 lbs of base rock and adding my existing lr to the tank with florida live sand. My ? Is will I get diatoms again? The tank has been used before idk if that has anything to do with it or not. I hope I don't get them again just wanted some feedback.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Not sure when I switched I used base rock and then existing LR from my old tank and I still got a outbreak of algae it all depends on the water quality

·
Reef-a-holic
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to make sure my params are the same in both tanks before switching, but hopefully it won't be a bad outbreak.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
i would assume yes. as for how severe it's hard to tell, WC's might be the best route after the change. See if anyone else chimes in.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I didn't experience hardly anything at all. No cycle, just a slight diatom bloom was gone in a couple of days.
However...I did not add any dry rock. moved all 140 pounds of rock rom 55g to my 75g. and lost nothing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I tore down my tank about 2 months ago to remove the DSB, I kept all my water, LR, and critters in bins. Big cleanout, brand new dry sand for shallow bed, and put all the rock and livestock back in with most of the original water. First I scrubbed and swished the rocks in some of the leftover water. I got a very minor diatom bloom within a couple days which lasted about 3 days. No parameter swings that I could measure with my test kits, but probably just released some gobbagoo that had been stuck deep in the rocks. I then just resumed my regular weekly water changes, and it's been smooth sailing. Since I just did LITERALLY the same thing last week (due to a leak), I'm seeing the beginnings of the same minor diatom bloom, but I doubt it will last long. I bet you'll have little to no trouble. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts