The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am going to be upgrading to a 55 gallon tank that i want to do as a LPS and SPS dominated reef.
But for livestock i want like aggressive animals.
What would you guys reccomend? I definetly want an eel(if possible).

Also could you guys tell what i should get as a CUC if i have an aggressive tank?

Thanks!:wavey:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got a baby engineer in my biocube..i love it but ive had to rearrange my rocks like ten times to accomidate its constant digging. lol.. I was looking at maybe a jeweled moray and maybe two GSM clowns for the tank and thats it.. would that be overdoing it?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I'm not an aggressive species advocate personally, but here's a bump for you...

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="60%">No reef tank for you.. :lol:
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="40%"><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=prodCommonName align=left>Jeweled Moray Eel </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD class=prodScientificName vAlign=top align=left>(Muraena lentiginosa) </TD></TR><TR><TD><LINK href="../styles/LAglobal.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=230 border=1><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cfdfe4><TD> QUICK STATS </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ececec><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons </TD></TR><TR><TD>Care Level: Easy </TD></TR><TR><TD>Temperament: Aggressive </TD></TR><TR><TD>Reef Compatible: No </TD></TR><TR><TD>Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Max. Size: 2' </TD></TR><TR><TD>Color Form: Black, Tan, White, Yellow </TD></TR><TR><TD>Diet: Carnivore </TD></TR><TR><TD>Compatibility: View Chart </TD></TR><TR><TD>Origin: Central America, Eastern Pacific </TD></TR><TR><TD>Family: Muraenidae </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it wouldnt have any ornamental invertebrates(shrimp, crabs, etc) but i could do corals and ive seen a tank with a snowflake eel that has clams....

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Id be worried about the fish. GSM's at full size are around 6 inches and the eel would be around 24 inches. Eels will eat anything that fits into their mouth and if it doesnt fit theyll rip it until it does.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Predators tend to be constant messy eaters that produce an abundance of waste. The exact opposite of what a functional SPS system needs to thrive. This may be why you are not getting a lot of feedback. Not saying it can't be done, and I love a challenge as much as the next person, but you have to understand a 55G tank is not an excessively large water volume so between the heavy feeding and the need for SPS quality water, plan on lots of heavy skimming and water changes. You'll have to research the CUC to see what is not on the predators list of preferred foods and possibly find ones that don't fit in it's mouth. In the long run you may be trying to keep kittens with pit-bulls, once again not saying it can't be done, but there is a chance no matter how dedicated you may be there may be a few missing kittens in the morning. It is unlikely all will thrive unless you are very determined. Good luck and let us know more about your plans for stocking and equiptment.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i completely agree with you! ill try to see what i can do and if not ill just not have an eel...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts