The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

My 55 gallon tank has been running for about a month now just cycling though.
Just added some cheap damsels to help cycle the tank faster w/o breaking the wallet.

Going to be setting this tank up with some clownfish next weekend and possibly a Foxface Lo and a Dwarf Flame Angel (after the damsels are out).

My Params:
55 Gallon
30-40 lbs. Live Rock
SG: 1.025-1.026
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10-20 ppm
Lighting: 2x Coralife Dual 10,000K & ACTINIC bulbs w/ individual reflectors
Skimmer: AquaC Remora Hang-on
Filter(s): Dual Emperor 400's

Any Suggestions on what i should add?
Thanks!!!

·
The Jack of Trades
682 Posts
Looks like you have a low cost setup in some sense. A lot of people will suggest sumps and what not. You have a set-up your fish keepers would of set-up back in the earlier days before all this movement of sumps, skimmers and so on. It started from undergravel filtration to internal filtration i.e sponge filters, to hang on back and finally external i.e. sumps. Are the dual emperors the ones with the bio wheels? If so take them off no need for excess bio-logical filtration. Let the rock and sand take care of the bio load and the skimmer remove most of those in-organics. You will probably not need the emperors at all to be honest unless they are your main water circulation. The skimmer should be good enough for filtration because all the emperors going to do is build of in-organics on the filter cartridges that would have to be replace monthly or weekly depending how much gets build up over-time. If the cartridges are not replaced frequently you will get a nitrate build up. In my opinion I would reduce the maintenance of by some just having to clean out the skimmer cup and doing a water change. So replace the emperors with powerheads. One thing that you should add is a clean up crew i.e snails and crabs etc..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up! i have a few hermit crabs and and ten turban snails on the way here right now… they will most likely get here on tuesday.
as for the emperors, i think that is a good idea as i am going to try and keep the bioload down in the first place… i already have a one powerhead that is my main form of circulation, and am now just deciding on what types of fish to get…
do you think a fox face or a dwarf angel would be fine with a pair of clowns?

·
The Jack of Trades
682 Posts
Both fish are great additions with the clowns. Clowns are hardy fish they will hold their end even with bigger fish. It comes down to your decision rather what would you like as the end result one big fish and the rest small or all small fish. I would go with the fox face because of its color to bring life to the tank. Also angels can do the same in more elegant manor. Research a little more and see what you prefer to have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts