The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to upgrade from my 10 gallon because it is getting filled up with frags after only 6 months. I would have gone bigger but this is all I can afford if I am going to do it the right way. Right now the tank is cycling and has about 15-20 lbs of live rock and 30lbs sand.
Equipment:
Aquamedic 6 bulb t5
Aquamaxx HOB skimmer
100 micron 4 inch filter socks
Mag 7 return pump
(2) 400 gph pumps

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing big on aquascaping because live rock is expensive and I like it to stay low to mid range. I will add about 20-30 pounds of live rock on the left side for some of my more demanding sps corals to get up high. I am really making this set up because I want to try a clam and some sps. Also maintenance will be a lot easier than on a 10 gallon so I couldn't see why not. I am still thinking about stocking but I think it will be somewhere along the lines of 1 yellow tang, 1 small wrasse, yellow watchman goby with fire pistol shrimp, and a pair of black clownfish in a BTA. Its moderately stocked but I have pretty good filtration and a decent skimmer.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Why buy live rock? Just get 99% dry rock and then a small live rock to seed the rest? Helps rule out some of the funky hitch hikers you might not want.

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big update: Just got about 30-40 lbs. more live rock and am looking at live stock. Found a great deal on some stuff for $3 a pound and a friend gave me about 15 for free. Also I have started a refugium in another tank with some caulerpa so we will have to see how that goes. The tank is looking good but I need some coralline growth. I have also added 4 hermit crabs and am dosing 2 part calcium. Overall we are in business folks.

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I have a buddy who could sell me a small yellow tang and after a year or two I could trade it back for another small one. The way I see it, I am going off to college in 2 years so I am not looking at the long-term but rather mid-term. If not a yellow tang then what could I get that would be as flashy and active?

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is literally the most boring thing...I can't wait to start moving coral over from the 10 gallon so I don't have to constantly take care of that thing. I am a little bit concerned about moving my live sand over because I fear it will release a bunch of phosphates so I think I will take it slow. On a better note, I finally got some red monti cap which I have been wanting for a long time now. Once I grow it out I can frag it into my 55 and have some good fast growth and hopefully sell some frags for $$$.

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so the ten gallon crashed due to some bad purigen I believe? But I got home last friday and the tank was cloudy and everything was shriveled up and so I panicked. The clownfish and goby were moved to the 55 along with all the sand and LR but the coral was transported to the 29 gallon reef I have downstairs. For now everybody is alright except for I lost my xenia colony and my favorite trumpet coral. But, we had a frag swap last weekend and now I have a giant (15-20) head trumpet coral and some awesome zoas. Right now I am in D.C. and won't be back til monday night and I will try to get picks sometime next week. Just yesterday I noticed the tank forming some algae so when I get back it will probably be going crazy with algae. Should I go with a week without light to kill it off or just let the CUC do its job?

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the tank now:
Water Vertebrate Light Azure Pet supply

Water Vertebrate Light Azure Pet supply

so we are approximately 4 weeks into the cycle and the algae has come and gone for the most part. Right now the cyano is fading away as you can see in the back wall. The clownfish and goby/shrimp are doing excellent and eating. The feather duster is also doing well and the old zoanthid colony. the kenya tree is doing decent like a 6.5 out of 10 and the new zoanthids that I put in about 30 min ago are half open so we will see. The goby and shrimp really do move around a whole lot of sand though. In some places it is 4.5 inches and other just 1.5 inches. Based on their activity I have decided to go ahead and form a living sand bed and add all kinds of sand sifting critters to keep the sand stirred well. Probably going to get some livestock in the next 2-3 weeks or sooner depending on when I feel the tank is ready. Some parameters are still stabilizing and so the coral is half open and half closed. Once its all stable I will probably begin adding small frags until I decide that the tank is matured to the point that it can handle the final couple fish. This will be a yellow tang and either another clownfish (female) or a wrasse of some sort. Also, next week I am going to reload the CUC in order to speed up the maturing process.

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Water Blue Underwater Fluid Organism
In this one at the bottom you can see the old zoas and the feather duster
Underwater Water Fluid Marine biology Fish
Here are the new zoas. The frag was 5 bucks for a 2 polyp plug. I kept it in the 29 gallon reef for a week and a half and now there are 2 big heads, 1 medium and 2 babies for a total of 5 heads. This is the equivalent of the colony doubling once a week. Now that the colony is in this less mature tank growth will probably slow to a crawl....

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Little Update:
Well it has been a while but I have alot going on. I got a massive trumpet coral with about 15 heads and the size of a softball. Here are some feeder tentacles-
Purple Underwater Coastal and oceanic landforms Marine biology Violet
The moonlights are on and my laptop isnt a great camera. At any rate, the algae has stopped growing but needs physical removal. I added purigen to help out and so far that has done the job. This week and next week are super stacked so I will not be getting anything most likely unless it is next friday. The corals are all doing really well now and I got a new pump. It is a sure flow mod for a maxi jet but it puts out like 1800 gph so it was a good deal. I am talking to a guy on craigslist about getting a 10 dollar neon green acropora frag sometime but so far have not finalized. Overall....not a whole lot changing and my parameters are still stabilizing but the tank is pretty much cycled now. I am looking into new lights though and this is my ideal setup-
1) ATI Aquablue Special
2) ATI Purple Plus
3) ATI Blue Plus
4) ATI Pro Color
5) ATI Blue Plus
6) ATI Aquablue Special
Front to Back

·
Another Crazy Reefer
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for the record, I got a yellow tang yesterday so now I have my main fish! He is a little bitty guy with a a body about the size of a half dollar or maybe a tad bigger. He is about 2 inches from head to toe and already is very active. No signs of disease or infection and his fins stay open 80% of the time. He loves to swim in the current and just now he had his first meal. I gave him a big bunch of brine shrimp and he is now grazing on his algae clip. He is really tearing it up though. I did not think he could ever eat this much but its not like I have a problem with it. Also yesterday I added the birdsnest from the 29 back to the 55 and it has polyp extension. I fragged the sinulara and put a piece on a frag plug. Everything is perfect except that the algae in my overflow is going ham. There is a whole bunch of hair algae in there and I dont know what to do. The algae in the tank is all gone now but the overflow. Pics Later

1 - 20 of 53 Posts