The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I started to build my second aquarium after everything died in my first one. I have searched the forum found some Idea on a stand so I build it and I will post some pictures later. Now I'm trying to get everything finished so I can start putting water in.
Before I had CLS but now I'm doing sump with Skimmer inside (Octopus NW200) and I had Question what kind of return pump should I get, it will go straight over the top. I had 900GPH but I think that would be too much ... any suggestions ? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
How much head will the pump have on it? The 900 might be ok...you can use larger dia. pipe and then break it out into 2 or 3 outlets on the return...also you can put a valve above the pump to throttle it back a little if needed...I had to do this on my old tank as the overflow couldn't keep up with the pump.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seeing that I am in the process of building my own stand right now I can say with confidence ... "YOU DA MAN"

Very nice. If you don't mind I have some woodworking questions and you look like the guy to ask.

In the drawing below I can't figure out what to use for the the horizontal trim. I was thinking base molding but it's only 7/16" thick and somehow I'm thinking that might look to thin. I want to use 1 by but would rather have something with a little contour. I have an old, small hand router but I don't know if it would be possible to put a nice corner on with that. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can just get a piece of wood and router it and sand it in corners so you'll get tight fit .. that's what I did...

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Great lookin Build!! I'll be keepin an eye on this one..Congrats!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm changing from Octopus NW 200 to 150, just because of the foot print, i have 20G and want to do refugium there, and I was just wondoring if anyone could tell me what height of water do I need for the skimmer to work properly ( i'm getting glass Baffles and don't want to have them recut later.
thanks

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Good choice on the 150, i think the 200 may have been a little large for your tank, the 150 would probably be better suited, anyway, the recommended water level is 8-10"

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
about the Octopus NW150 gate valve mod, I found it on website I can buy it there for $37 but can I buy it somewhere in local stores or is it special order item ... am I better off with getting it together with that skimmer ?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
The most expensive thing (and also the hardest thing to find locally) will be the gate valve itself. Most people end up having to order it online, but even then, it will still be less expensive than buying a pre-made mod kit. The stand looks great (looks kinda familiar). I would make two recommendations though. Mount the ballast for the lamps outside the cabinet. That will protect them from humidity and accidental water sprays. I'm sure you already know that electricity and water don't mix. Second thing is the little piece of wood you're using to prop open the hood. I would find something more secure to keep that hood open. If you had the hood open and then accidentally knocked that strip out of position, or if it slipped out, the hood would slam shut and the force of that might shatter the glass tank.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually got the stand idea off of your build ;) .... for the ballast I was planning on putting a pieces of some acrylic in front of it just in case of water spill on evaporation, but it may be better just to move it outside .,....
thanks

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
The acrylic is a good idea to keep water from splashing onto the ballast but outside is better overall - good ventiliation, won't add heat to the tank, easily accesible, no humidity to rust things.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
your tanks look good too .... My haven't seen water yet so everything is nice for now .. :)

Thanks, and don't worry you will get there with time. As you will read on here that is one of the most important aspects of this hobby is to have patience. It is a virtue and it is extremely hard to control once you put water in the tank. The addicition will hit fast and hard and it will take all of your will power to reming yourself that going slow is the best thing for the long haul. There are times when I think I still did things too quickly in the beginning as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any suggestion where can I mount the ballast on the outside ? I was thinking in the back of the aquarium but, then if I have to replace it it would be hard to get there, or will it be safe next to sump ??:help:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All right I got ordered Octopus NW150, now its going to be plumbing time, I have heard that its better to have the two drilled holes go down to sump and return over the top is it better or have it One hole to the sump and return through the bottom -up too ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts