The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site and recently purchased a 54 Gallon corner tank with the stand, Megaflow 1 sump, Megaflow over flow kit with dual nozzles and the standard lighting and canopy that come with the tank. I'm planning on a FWLR tank. I'm not in a rush and slowly building what I need. I want to take the bioballs out before I start and am trying to work out putting LR in the sump. I'm also trying to decide on a protein skimmer. Ideally I want to make the sump a refugium and am currently trying to work that out.

·
Premium Member
18,834 Posts
My personal experience with refugiums is to not use sand in them, to use large pieces of rock and not rubble, and to keep the flow in them a little higher than most people tend to. Not having the sand makes them much easier to keep clean and using large bits of rock instead of rubble is for the same reason. The higher flow helps keep detritus from settling.

For a fish only tank, the bioballs are actually just fine in the sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.