The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Around January, I decided to start a tank for sharks and rays. I first purchased Scott Michael's book "Aquarium Sharks and Rays". After reading it cover to cover (first time i've done that when it wasn't for college) I decided to go with a tank big enough to breed Epaulette sharks. Acrylic sheets are mainly sold in 8' x 4' sheets so that is the largest you can go withough making an exponential price increase. With the base dimensions decided, I began work on the stand.

After the frame was built, I added plywood to the bottom, side and back of the stand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once the stand was framed, the whole thing was painted in a water resistant primer and skinned in oak plywood.

Oak accents were then added to the stand.

Everything was then stained, varnished and moved to its final spot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angry child!!

I then built a wet/dry filter out of an old 75 gallon tank.

The tank took over a week to fill with RO/DI water.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to go with a hanging hood and it is constructed the same way as the stand. I added about 500 pounds of Southdown sand (yay dust storm) to get a 2" sandbed. This is the tank today while it cycles for a few months. The waiting begins.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
That tank Kicks major you know what~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hardlife said:
how long did it take to get it as far as you have? what are the dim of the tank
I've been mostly working on it after work and on the weekends. I started the stand on March 30th. The outside dimensions of the tank are 96" x 48" x 26" tall. The stand is 37.5" tall because the window I had to bring it in through is 52" x 38".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
davidsreef said:
Keep us updated! How many sharks do you hope to keep in your tank?
I'm going to start with 2 females and a male and see how that goes. I'm hoping to get them at about 9"-14". Hopefully I will have some in the tank by September. The planned fish are 3 adult Heniochus Butterfly's, an adult Fiji Bicolor Rabbitfish, a Cortez Stingray, an Adult Purple tang (from Seamonkey) and an adult Sailfin Tang. That should keep the top and middle of the tank interesting.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Good Lord!! Thats Impressive!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts