The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here it is my first rt. 50gal in the wall. 30 gal diy sump/ refugium. diy ats. diy agracrete base rock. up for three days now. started cycle with peice of shrimp meat. sg 1.024 kh 11.2 ph 8.6 amonia .5 nitrite 0

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. its hard being patient but i am. should i be concerned about my ph being high at this point?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
High PH is the result of the DIY rock. How long did you cure it in freshwater for?

PH buffer will do nothing for high PH and I wouldn't try to chemically lower it at this point. Waterchanges are going to be your best bet for lowering the PH.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
soaked my rock for 5 weeks. changed water every day. had ph of 7.0 for the last 8 days of soaking. im thinking that my water is very rich in oxygen due to my overflow pipe i made. i have a ton of air bubbles going into my sump.im just going to let it cycle for now and see where the ph is in a couple of weeks. i know that carbon dioxide deficiancies can cause a high ph my target ph is 8.2. im at 8.6 now. my alk is on the high side as well at 11.2. i know that people who made thier own rock that used crushed oyster shells may have high ph problems but i didnt use that for my rock. i dont think wc's will work very well for ph problems.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The PH and Alk is being driven up by compounds leaching from the rock and changing the water will help remove this. Same concept as you did with changing the water everyday when curing it. If your tank is inside your house, a CO2 defficency is unlikely.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you think it leaching because i now have it in saltwater? im confused because the cement i used to make the rock has .5:1 ratio hydrated lime to portland cement. if anything i would think that the lime, if it was leaching would lower the ph not raise it. im open to info but id feel better if you could explain why the rock is raising the ph in your opinion? thanks

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Limewater has a high PH. The lime is contributing to the problem.

It is because of the difference in saltwater vs freshwater but I can't explain it chemically. I just know it's a common occurence when using DIY rock to see a small PH spike when first placed in the tank.

You said that you did 5 weeks of freshwater soaking but what about a vinegar or muriatic acid bath. This is sometimes done before the freshwater soaking to reduce the PH of the rock surface.

Your PH is not at a dangerous level and it will subside over time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops i think i just answered my own question. if it is leaching lime than the lime would lower the carbon dioxide therfore raising the ph. but i still dont understand why it would leach in saltwater and not fresh water. plus my tank is airating the water and i had no airation while it was soaking in the fw. i think before its all over im gonna have to take a marine biology class at the community college.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks jadinop. im not worried to much as my tank will be 6mos old before i add any corals or fish and im sure ill have it worked out by then. im just trying to get my head around the chemistry aspect of all this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts