The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Po im about to start a neat little reef build. I lucked out and found a 5 gallon fluval spec for 20 bucks. I work at a petco and it greatly reduced because it was missing its light bar which wasnt a big deal considering id be replacing it. I did nit find forums until after I finished my first reef build. Which is a 20 gallon high softie lps tank. But I digress. My plan with this tank is to do a mostly lps tank with a few softies, mostly shrooms b/c I love them lol. I have most of the equipment I need except for a few little things here and there. The list is as follows:

-fluval spec V
-25 watt fluval edge heater
-coralife digital thermometer
-small mag float
-current usa marine orbit light w/ ramp timer
-hydor rotating water deflector to replace stock flowhead
-stock fluval pump rated at 83 gph. I also have a marineland 606 mini jet rated at 159 gph. The only issue here with that is its half an inch to big for the overflow compartment. It would fit if I remove the adjustable flow part so ill probably do that b/c im probably going to run it at full strength anyway. If someone does see an issue with that please let me know.
-I cant decide if I want to do BB or use a combo or sand and argonite for looks since itll be in the living room and its already a bit of a battle with my wife.
-for filtration I plan on simply using chemi pure and/or purigen. Not sure if I wanna use only one or both. I think that ill put filter floss on the bottom and top of which ever one I use so it doesnt impede flow and so I dont have to use the crappy foam block lol.

I do have a bit of dry rock that I will be scaping with Putty. Depending on how that comes out I may just use only that with a small piece of lfs rock to help seed the dry rock.

As far as livestock im gonna k.i.s.s. lol itll probably only consist of a small shrimp goby/pistol pair and one of the following:

-6 line wrasse
-clown goby
-A dottyback or some sort
-designer clown of some sort if my wife wins that arguement
-some sort of shrimp, either a coral banded, camel, pepperment, cleaner, fire you get the picture.

So yeah I think thats it. Oh yeah and ill be spray painting one side black since itll be sitting longways to see more of the tank itself. Is rustoluem ok for that? And besides that I just need to find a low profile stand no higher then a normal end table. So any suggestions or questions just let me know. This build will be a bit of a slow one thanks to my wife lol so bear with me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sounds good! I just have 2 things to say...1. Camel shrimp can be EVIL!! so id stay away from them and 2. A 5g tank is small for a clown, they do need a decent amount of swimming room. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I would stick with just one fish. And focus on corals. A 5 gallon tank is way too small for 3-4 fish. A jawfish or a small goby would be the most I put in that tank, and hermit crabs or snails. A 5 gallon tank might be too small for a cleaner a shrimp. Their antennas would eventually touch both sides of the tank. Keep it simple. If you put 3-4 fish in a 5 gallon saltwater tank you would need a 10 gallon sump for filtration purposes. The fish would have no swimming room. But at the end if the day it's your tank. You can do what you want with it. But you will soon be back on here saying "my fish have Ich help!" Think about this. It would be like you putting 4 people in a 10'x10' room, dig a hole in the middle of the floor for a toilet, and say ok now everyone life a long happy life! They may be fine as children, but as they get bigger they run out of elbow space. think of how dirty that room would be after a few days, months, years. Think of how easy it would be for someone to get sick. It would not be much different for the fish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stand is all done!! Thanks to mya good friend of mine. Only cost me me 60 bucks. Tomorrow after work I plan on using some wood filler to fill in a few gaps, sand down a few spots, and paint it black. I was gonna stain it a nice red mahogany but the wife wanted it black to match the decor. Oh and btw sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I was beat after work and didnt have any time to work on the stand. I did do some browsing for substrate and dry rock. Ive read a lot of threads where "pink" sand was used. I found this one on marinedepot.com:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Caribsea..._Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS1796-FISSLS-vi.htm

Any thoughts?

I also found what seems to be a pretty good deal on dry rock considering I only need 10 pounds. Again I found this on marinedepot.com:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...eef_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ12111-FISSLR-vi.html

Thoughts, concerns, criticism would be appreciated!! Im still trying to figure out what paint to use for my background as well if anyone would like to chim in. I have talked myself out of it somewhat. Ive gone back and fourth with no background since no wiring will be seen either way. All the wiring will be coming out of the small compartment in the back which is somewhat hidden by frosted glass. If I do no background then ill sit it at an angle on the stand to give it a bit more depth at fist look.

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
I would say a fish is out of the question. 5 gal tank minus the room for the heater powerhead sand and live rock yoy will probably be at about 2.5 to 3 gals

suggestions maybe for dwarf snails and dwarf hermits to keep it small and maybe sexy shrimp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Havent been able to get much work done on the tank or any posting in lately. I just recently got a promotion so that has been taking up most of my time. So the stand stull looks the same unfortunately. Got to get a bit of it sanded down and painted. The little time I have had has been given to my 20 gallon reef tank. Although I did get some time to mess with my light. I was making sure it all worked right so when I plugged everything up I noticed that my blues werent coming on with the whites. I did recently move so im thinking that maybe it was somehow damaged in the move. I purchased the light back in december from amazon so I doubt that theres any warranty still on it. The light is a current usa marine orbit light. Any idea on how I could fix this or should I just get a new light?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I got finally was able to work on the stand a bit and got the first coat of paint on it last night. Going to put the second coat on tomorrow after work. Ive had to spend a little bit of my time on my 20 gal reef tank since ive neglected it a bit. I keep going back and forth on lights for the spec. I was originally going to go with my orbit marine light but for some reason the blue lights on it arent working. So ive been looking around and I stumbled across a sale which ends saturday for boostled par30 bulb with a gooseneck clamp fixture for it for under 100 bucks. Ive seen a couple of really nice nanos and bigger tanks that are gorgeous with par30 and par38 bulbs on them. Heres the link:

http://www.boostled.com/category_s/1817.htm

My plan is to get the bulb with 2 royal blues, 1regular blue, 1 nuetral white, and 1 cool white all with 60 degree optics. My only question is should I look into getting and driver and all that jazz? Im not to familiar with that side of the led lights yet. I was hopping that I could just plug it into a timed power strip or even find a ramp timer that might work with. If is easier and/or better to get the controller and driver then I will. And if you guys suggest getting all of that as well can you recommend what would work best with the light? Heres a link to the boostled typhoon controller, driver and its accessories:

http://www.boostled.com/category_s/1833.htm

Thanks!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok was avle to get some stuff done. Got the stand all painted with both coats finally. Its looks **** goo if you ask me lol. I did receive my boostled par30 bulb and fixture. Unfortunately the fixture was broke in one part. It still worked just needed to be super glued. I emailed boostled to see if it would be a problem to super glue it and they opted to send me a brand new fixture free of charge!! So im hoping thats here by monday. I also ordered 15lbs of rock from reef cleaners. I hope thats here today. I got a very nice media rack on its way from mediabaskets.com. cant wait to put that to use over the dumb foam block that came stock. On a side note I also ordered a media rack for my ac70 for my 20 gallon since mediabaskets has such nice products. After all that comes in then all theres left to do is epoxy the rock, set everything up, and wait out the cycle. For the cycle I plan on using a cocktail shrimp in a media bag to keep it from going all over the place as well as a pinch of biozyme. Last vut not least ill use a very small piece of live rock from an established tank to help seed as well. I think thays about it for now. Hopefully stuff starts arriving today so I can get some pics up for everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so now that I got my dry rock in yesterday I got my scape all but done. I need to get some more epoxy for the final peice. Therea a pic of the scape in my attachments. That top peice that connects the two islands isnt epoxyed down yet. I also have a third island that I thought I would need but didnt. Its shorter then the first two. Thoughts suggestions? Im also have a bit of an issue with my light fixture that came in yesterday as well. Its a gooseneck fixture but the part that gets clamped to the tank goes into the overflow. Any thoughta on if thatd be ok or should I try and figure out another way to mount it. Theres a pic of that in the attachments as well. Thanks!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sooo I was finally able to get everything up and running and its now just a waiting game. My original list of equipment changed a good bit for some reason or another lol. I settled on the following:

-Boostled par30 bulb w/ goose neck clamp lamp. The colors I chose were 3 royal blues, 1 neutral white, and 1 cool white. I really like the color it gives off a lot!!
-InTank media basket w/ purigen, chemipure, and filter floss. I think once this bag of chemipure elite is used up im gonna try the chemipure blue which is specifically designed for reef tanks.
-fluval edge heater pre adjusted to 78 F
-marineland maxijet 606 and hydor flow reflector which replaced the stock pump and flowhead.
-1/2" crushed argonite sand bed
-about 8lbs or so or reefcleaners dry rock.
-small magfloat and coralife digital thermometer
-coralife digial power strip w/ day and night plugs.

I think thats about it. Just gotta wait out the cycle then to start stocking. I wanna try and do mainly lps is this tank. Ill have a few shrooms and/or zoas/palys. I might try a monti down the road but thats yet to be seen lol. As far as livestock Im very much infatuated with 6 lines. Really just wrasses in general. I think im gonna go with a 6 line though. I know it could potentially lead to tight quarters in the future but I should have a bigger tank up and running for him in that case. Im still open to suggestions for that though. Im still deciding between fire shrimp cleaner shrimp or coral banded. I really like the coral bandeds but still open to any of them. Then some small snails. Thats about it for now thanks for reading!! Oh yeah btw the first pic is the right side, second one from the front, and last one is the left side. I have it sitting like a peninsula so either side is viewable from the two couches its surrounded by.

Attachments

·
Big Fishy
1,068 Posts
That's awesome. Can't wait to see coral in it. I always enjoy seeing builds that are meshed with living space. It adds a lot to the room, and a conversation piece for guests. I like the aquascape too. 5 gallons is a bit small for fish, you may beable to get away with 1. You could make it a shrimp/LPS tank.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you!! A lot of thought went into placement and whatnot socit would please the wife. Lol I really want one fish in there but the options are very limited. I do like the pygmy wrasses but most are red and my other tanks dominant color is red. So im trying to get other colors in there. I know most shrimp are as active as I would like thats why I would like some type fish. I might end up getting a clown goby or 2. I have one in my 20 and hes definitely my favorite. I cant wait for the cycle to be done with though so I can start stocking!!

·
Big Fishy
1,068 Posts
I know from personal experience that gobies are not very active, although in a small tank I'm sure you would see it more often than I do in my 55. The goby/pistol shrimp pair is very fascinating to watch, and the shrimp would keep your sand bed stirred up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The fish would have no swimming room. But at the end if the day it's your tank. You can do what you want with it. But you will soon be back on here saying "my fish have Ich help!" Think about this....

·
Big Fishy
1,068 Posts
Dont most gobies that normally pair with pistol shrimp get to a size to big for a 5 gal?
I really don't know. I read that you were looking into one, thats just my experience. Live aquaria says watchman gobys only get reach inches. I would do a good search of other 5 gallon nanos, and see their stock list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts