The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum but have kept salt water tanks before but never with live rock or corals. I've had fish only marine tanks but recently had to downsize my aquarium as I need more room for my newborn coming soon. Well here's my tank 5.5 gallon with 3 pounds of live rock. Do you think that's enough to take out the filter and put the power head? Any input helps

Attachments

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Yes should be fine. What do you plan on stocking this tank with? There are not any fish that will be small enough. Cleaner shrimp and other inverts should be good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have a ocellaris clown fish in there now from my 20 long that I had to take down he's an inch but I know will grow too big for this tank so maybe just a cleaner shrimp and some coral when I'm ready lol what are good suggestions

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Rockwork looks very nice! I agree that it's too small for the clown though. A fire shrimp would be a cool addition. As for corals, that depends what kind of lighting you have.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Great! and welcome to TRT :wavey:

Looks good yes you can take out your filter. If you want to add some flow an hide some of your heater a big HOB filter can be useful for that. Just take everything out of it and put your heater in there. It also can give you a place to run carbon should feel the need. I have done this in the past with an aquaclear 70. I got online and found a replacement impeller(drop in part for aquaclear) for a smaller aquaclear to slow down the pump to a more "nano suitable" rate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @gouch I plan on using a filter to take out the extra food and stuff for now should I use a filter or would it be better to get a nano skimmer and I change 1 gallon a week of water

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I dont think you even need a skimmer. I havent had any problems keeping my nitrates down so far with just water changes. Its so easy I usually end up taking out between 1-2 gallons trying to siphon all the junk out. The filter with some floss in in i would be good. Get a small powerhead like a koralia Nano 240gph maybe...They move water pretty good in a "plane" rather than a stream. If you run the ceramic media, or bioballs, or other biological media in the filter it can trap detritus and cause your nitrates to go up over time. If you take them out and clean them the n it really negates the purpose of having them in there because youll kill all the bacteria on them. I would just rely on your live rock for biofiltration and good flow to keep much of the "junk" in the water column. Your filter with floss/carbon/whatever you decide will pick it up and the siphon will get the rest:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts