The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tank will be 48" long x 48" wide " 19.5" high
sandbed 1.5" .. leaves 18" thoughts ? should be ok right ?
its a 185 gallon display + 75 gallon sump
6 foot corner to corner .. no tang popo please :p
rock will be centered leaving maximum swimming room for the tangs in a circle pattern + a lane through the middle like a figure 8
my lfs tells me i can keep 5 large tangs in this system .. i call BS
ultimately id like two larger tangs and a yellow.

blue tang
orange shoulder tang &
yellow tang or a kole havent quite decided yet.

thoughts guys on 1.5ft high should be ok ?
blue tang and orange shoulder tang should get along fine ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone ?, ill be going ahead with the build most probably in a month or so, he should be ok in my 30 for atleast 4 months hes around 1.7" - 1.8"
eating nori like a champ keeping it in there 24/7 for him .. replace everyday, as i know they need to eat quite a bit when there small, grazing on the rocks also, so thats atleast some of his nutrition, but id be alot happier if hed start too eat a few hikari marine s pellets, first day though .. already grazing/eating nori from the clip out in the open 75% of the time swimming around, hopefully in the next few days ill get him onto a few pellets to give him a nice diet .. feeding twice a day lunch and dinner along with nori/grazing i think hell be nice and fat soon :D, lowered my salinity before getting him to the lfs salinity and introduced him low light no acclimation apart from 25min temp .. checked with refractometer, looking extremely healthy .. no ich etc, i think i got really lucky on this one .. keep my fingers crossed all goes well, cant wait to start the new build.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eventually want to get him onto marine A or thera+ once he gets larger in the new system .. is thera+ really that good a food or is marine a/s in the same league ? for tangs ?

in my opinion the hikari food is pretty good my fish all love it and there colours are excellent lately.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
IMO tangs need more length space vs height space. For a 48" I would keep a Kole or Bristletooth, you can keep the tang in your tank if its small but once it reaches 6"+ I would attempt to rehome her. HTH!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nfs .. appreciate your input in regards to height but in my opinion this tank will be fine for a full grown blue .. its 185 gallons .. and its 6 foot corner to corner !? .. and i think a tang would enjoy being able to swim continuously in a circle/figure of 8 as it would feel more natural then pace the front glass all day on a 6 foot dont you think ? .. it will have minimal live rock with a sump full of marine pure .. i think the whole 6 foot thing is a joke to a certain extent .. a 6ftx1ftx1ft would be ok because its 6 foot ?, imo 6 foot corner to corner 185 gallons it will be absolutely fine, only thing i was concerned about was the height but 18" is aok. Ive seen a full grown in a 4x2 and it wouldve been fine if this was 4x4 on the other hand setup/aquascaped correctly it wouldve been much more open for a blue & orange shoulder tang to live comfortably there whole lives.

Done lots of research on the topic and the lfs has two full grown tangs in 4x4 happy as can be hand fed etc, plus have input from people with many years in the hobby that it will be fine @ 4x4, no disrespect mate .. just my .02
Was only concerned about height, sorry if im over reacting a bit .. but the whole reason the tank is being built is so i can keep my blue its whole life & i can do right by the fish by building a 185gallon display as per the minimum volume for a adult blue tang,
All the best.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Is this tank 72" or 48", you stated its 6-foot but mention its 48"*48" so curious which one is right.

But GL with the tank!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its 48" long x 48" wide by 19.5"high
Which leaves 18" of height with a 1" sandbed .. and yes tko hypotenuse will be almost six foot with a diagonal swimming lane through the centre including a circle around the rockwork .. like a figure 8 diagonally .. 2 islands/live rock & soft coral dominant .. but yeah mate you were right on the money :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts