The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to reeftanks so bear with me. I have a 46 gallon bowtank with a stand that is limited on space. I was wonderinf if any of you have any suggestions on what I would need as far as the size and what kind of skiimer I should use. The overall size is 26" high x 32" wide x 8 " deep. Would anyone have any suggestions or have any plans on how to build a sump that would fit. I was thinking of using a 10 gallonn tank but that idea wont work because it is too big. I also want to put a protien skimmer underneath any suggestions on that also.

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
well what i did is i put my stand in a corner. i left enough room so my sump would fit, -if i'm not clear enough i intersected the corner. i used a 25 gallon rubbermaid container. also rubbermaid containers come in so many sizes that if you look hard enough you might find one that fits perfectly.

the other bonus is that they are cheap....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of either the rubbermaid idea or building one out of acrylic to custom fit the bottom. I just dont know how I would section it off or how much room is needed for each section. I want to put a protien skimmer in the sump also. i was also thinking of a small refugium but would that be overdoing it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I did a little reaserch into the aquaclear 75 and from what it looks like it looks like it will fit in just fine. Now my question is this. Thet sell it with and without the protein skimmer. How is the protein skimmer that it comes with. Or should I buy another unit.

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
i don't like that layout, i would get rid of the trickle plate, instead i would place my protien skimmer there, the water that feeds the the ps chamber would be filtered with a filter sock, i would plumb the outlet of the ps through the wall that seperates the ps chamber. the other chamber would serve as a return pump, heater, anything else chamber.

basically two chambers:
one p/s
one return pump, etc....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.