The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been around too long, but thought I'd share my build as it progresses. It will start as just fish, LR, and a small polyp colony.

Here is the stand, unfinished:

Here it is finished:

Filled it with water/rock last wednesday.

Got some nice Oolitic sand from the great salt lake. Took about 1.5 5 gallon buckets of washed & screened sand:

Here are some pics with some of my rock and added my fish and polyps, seems my cycle has completed

and

I am having an issue with yellowish water though.... any thoughts?

My light showed up, unfortunately they sent me the fresh water version... SW version is in the mail and should he here tomorrow (friday). So for now I don't have much in the way of blues...

Going to be adding about 25 more lbs of live rock to get my total to 50, but that'll have to wait a week or so.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
The stand is very nice! Building one myself right now.

As far as your yellow water, how often are you doing water changes and are you running a skimmer?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Welcome to the 40B club!

I kinda like the minimalism rockwork design.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stand is very nice! Building one myself right now.

As far as your yellow water, how often are you doing water changes and are you running a skimmer?
I'm running a skimmer, it's collecting a little more than in my 20 long. I haven't done a water change yet, just put water in a little over a week ago. Will probably do a 25% change this weekend though. Normally I do them every 2-3 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
With the tank that newly filled, you still have some cycle to go. Your yellow water has some to do with that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the tank that newly filled, you still have some cycle to go. Your yellow water has some to do with that.
I think you may be right. I added all the old live sand from my 20long as well as the live rock, which I believe is probably why I had a short cycle time (ammonia was at .25 for 2 days). But I think with the increased bioload of adding fish/crabs, i'll probably have another small bump.

Any guesstimates of how long I should wait before getting too concerned with the yellow water?

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
It's just got to run its course. Moving the old sand bed was likely a chancy move. How old was it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Fish/Crabs/Corals

Here are my two clowns, who are usually quite friendly but really didn't want me to take a picture of them.

One of my smaller emerald crabs:

And my polyps, who aren't liking this freshwater lighting... They'll be happy tomorrow :funny:

I also have a Sleeper Banded Goby, but he won't come out for a picture right now. I'll try to get one of him next time I feed them.
EDIT: Here he is, wish my water was less cloudy... guess I'll have to update once it's all better!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
usually time, skimmer, carbon and whatnot will clear your water up.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
About a year. Why would it be chancy?
depending how deep it was, there can be A) tons of detritus built up in it and B) pockets of anaerobic activity (hydrogen sulfide) which can poison the tank.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
look for black areas under the sand (against the glass). You dont want to disturb these areas while there is livestock in the tank. remove everything to tubs and totes, remove the sandbed, and refill the tank. I think its safe to say that if you have a sandbed that is 3" deep or deeper, that has been undisturbed for longer than a year, you've got them. Not sure if there's a way to test it, as it stays under the sand and you would have to disturb the sand to test and by then its too late.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
look for black areas under the sand (against the glass). You dont want to disturb these areas while there is livestock in the tank. remove everything to tubs and totes, remove the sandbed, and refill the tank. I think its safe to say that if you have a sandbed that is 3" deep or deeper, that has been undisturbed for longer than a year, you've got them. Not sure if there's a way to test it, as it stays under the sand and you would have to disturb the sand to test and by then its too late.
I vacuumed 2x/month pretty thoroughly and the sand looks pretty much like new.

When I did the transfer I drained all the water from the 20g, then used a tupperware to move the still damp sand to the new tank. Once it was in I placed my rock then filled with water.

I'll keep an eye out for these black areas though. If they crop up in my new sand should I replace the substrate? or is there a way to remove them? Of course, all livestock would be moved prior.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts