The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - first post on this new account. I was a member on username "Oceanlab" many years ago, but unfortunately forgot my password and the account is linked to an expired email account. It's great to see a lot of familiar names after so many years.

Anyway, long story short is that I've continued to keep a 30 g BB tank over the last several years with no issues. 2x clown fish and a ton of different types of coral ranging from softies, LPS, and some SPS. I have an Octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer, Vortech MP10, and standard 4x bulb T5 lighting.

I'm needing to finally move my tank from the upstairs guest bedroom to downstairs, so I'm thinking about moving to a 40 g breeder. Unfortunately I need to get the tank out of the bedroom and set up downstairs fairly quickly, so my thought is to move it onto a stand that would accommodate a sump tank (underneath) for the future, but the tank will be set up initially without a sump.

Since it has been a relatively long time since I've truly been immersed and involved in re-builidng / upgrading my tank, I was hoping for some feedback from the experts here regarding your opinions on how to most successfully transition from my previous 30 g BB to a 40 g breeder (will also be BB). It's been really tough to search the forum and Google for my specific needs since so many posts appear to be older and probably outdated as far as new technology goes.

My immediate thoughts / needs are:

-Lighting: I think this is where I need the most help. I'm wanting to switch to LEDs for sure. I don't want to say money is not an option in this case, but I'm certainly leaning toward spending the extra money for the right set-up. Any specific suggestions or recommendations?

-Skimmer: Since I won't have a sump initially, I'm thinking the Octopus BH1000 HOB will get me through for the time being? I know it's rated for ~55 gallon (heavily stocked), but am interested in your guys' opinions on this.

-Filtration: Again, since I won't have a sump initially, do you think it's worth setting up an empty canister filter for some extra volume, in the addition to the ability to run with filters/media during water changes, etc. for mechanical filtration?

-Powerheads: I'm thinking I'll likely need at least another MP10. Would you guys suggest maybe an MP40 instead? Note I do have 1x MP10 on my 30 g already.

-Miscellaneous: I'm definitely going to add more LR and more coral (TBD), but not sure I'll add anymore fish. Any other suggestions, recommendations, tips, etc. to make this transition as smoothly as possible.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help with this. Please let me know if you need any additional info from me on anything.

Great to be back on the forums :) - hopefully this build will re-spark my interest in the hobby again.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
If going with LEDs, I would go with two AI Primes (about $200 each). Or build your own. You can go without secondary lenses with a 40b if DIY.

You should only need one MP10. That was more than enough for my 40B. Same with the rock. I tended to go more minimal in the 40B.

Skimmer, I would personally go skimmerless or add a sump... but that was my approach. If you have the HOB, why not right?

However, adding a sump later is tough and not disrupt things too much. Might just go ahead with a sump build.

Fish wise, Banggai and Melarurus wrasse would be my recommendation.

That was my take-aways when I did my 40B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the feedback - appreciate it.

Regarding the suggested lighting (2x AI Primes), would this be more than sufficient for a range of corals (i.e. softies, LPS, SPS)?

And I assume there wouldn't be any major dosing or treatment requirements going from my 30 gallon to the 40 gallon? I've always been able to keep my levels in check for the most part with regular water changes.

Thanks again!

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,355 Posts
Welcome back to the forums, and the fun, and the money spending! I agree for the most part till you get crazy packed with a bunch of 'stonies', water changes should do a good job controlling your numbers for ya. All the best,
Hack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts