The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched out my Hamilton 14k's for a new set of XM10k's. Right away I noticed on bulb was yellow, the other white. I thought I'd give it a few days. It seems a bit better but still quite noticeable. I don't like the yellow of the one bulb. I switched ballasts and the yellow color stayed with the bulb. Do you think I got a bum bulb?

Any thoughts on how my tank is going to react to the change in bulbs? Right now I'm limiting my lights at just a few hours a day to let corals adjust.

Sean

·
11,345 Posts
I think you just have a bad bulb and should ask for a replacement..........but you know that as we already talked about it....

I actually think that 400 watt 10k xm's are kind of weeny. You should get some REAL lights and step up to a couple of 1000 watters. :freak:

but seriously, i would defintely acclimate slowly. Ive never actually seen 400 wtt 10k XM's in person, but I know how much brighter my 10k xm's are than most bulbs.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I have the 10k hamiltons are the xm's alot brighter? I can't image a bulb much brighter?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Whiskey told me the 250watt xm 10000 are actually better than the 400 watt as far as par goes at least I think that's what he said. I do agree it's a bum bulb and ask for another.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
I have the 10k hamiltons are the xm's alot brighter? I can't image a bulb much brighter?
They are WAY brighter. Here is a link to my lighting thread where I snapped shots of my tank before and after changing to XM 250W 10K from my hamilton 10K and 14K. There is no comparison XM is much brighter and puts out more PAR than the Hamilton bulbs.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100064

·
Registered
105 Posts
hello,

I recently purchased the xm 10k as well. I did not like them one bit and switched to the 15k. it looks so much better. not too much blue. it bring out the greens and purples in my corals. i recommend those for your reef.

thanks

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I may try the xm's after Im done with the hamiltons...

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
10000k get's you better par. If it is too yellow for you use some acentic supplementation. I like the crisp white with just a hint of blue.

·
11,345 Posts
10000k get's you better par. If it is too yellow for you use some acentic supplementation. I like the crisp white with just a hint of blue.

ill say this. 220 watts (2 110 vho's)of super actinic supplementation, mounted right above the tank does NOTHING when ran with 10 k xm's. Im using actinics on my little tank, and not on my big tank and there is seriously zero difference......until hte halides shut off of course, then i can tell the actinics are on on one tank and the other tank is dark.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
yep...so your saying with the xm's? there that much brighter?

·
11,345 Posts
I cant personally compare as ive never seen the 10 k hammy. But from what ive heard. Yes, they are that much brighter.

I do have a pic somewhere of the 10 k running side by side a 15k, and 90% of the tank looks like its solely under the 10k. besides the one edge the other bulb might as well not even be on.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I tried the 14k's and they were way to blue...I kinda like the real color ....more of like the actually sun(10k)

·
11,345 Posts
I think the 10k's actually make the TRUE coral color better, instead of doctoring up what color it does make them.

It took me a while to get used to the color to be honest as i had been running the bluer bulbs for so long. It looked yellow to me for weeks after changing. But im seeing colors now that i never even knew existed in the corals i have had a long time.

The largest stony i have is this pretty large stag. prolly 12x12x10 or so. It had always been what i thought was a neat color. Kind of a deep bluish brown with lighter brown polyps. Its a stag, they typically arent as bright right?? WRONG. it now has bright turquoise polyps, and the enite thing is a deep dark blue color. Its crazy. Id been cutting myself short all this time and simply didnt know any better. I could describe 50 other stonies with similar results. More par = GOOD jmo

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Im with you I put a small stag frag in 3 weeks ago ....kinda brown now its blue and green tip..and already encrusted over the super glue onto the rocks....

·
11,345 Posts
but i loooove the 15k XM color. not too blue.
AS a long time 15k xm user I am fully qualified to say that 15k XM's SUCK.

I dont deny that I like the color, but it doesnt change in any way how much they suck if you are keeping sps corals

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
so how many t5's you think I would need to kick in a little blue with the xm 10000. I don't like the blue blue or the yellow. I really won't know till I see them in action i guess. I am after good coral growth which is why I am going the 10000k 250's, xm of course.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts