The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WTB or borrow: 400W ballast??

Anyone have an extra 400W ballast laying around (normal, HQI, eBallast, etc.) I could buy or borrow until Champion gets the eBallasts back in stock?? I want to add another 400W bulb in addition to my existing one. I want to go with a 400W 10K Ushio and a 400W XM...

Greg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey Greg, I fired up my 400W XM and my 250W DE XM last night. They are definitely diferent from the Radiums. I think I like the 400W, but so far I hate the 250 DE it is way way dimmer than my AB bulbs. I hear that these whiten up after about 100 hours, but they appear to be a violet color as opposed to the blue color of Radiums. I'll let them burn in and see how they do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
400W XM

Hi Guys,
I have been running the XM's for a month or two now they do not whiten, they yellow. Its not bad but I have actinic supplimentation. If I didn't have blue supplimentation I wouldn't be happy with this choice of bulbs.
Also after looking at the envelope mine is poorley made shoddy soldering, bulb is misshaped in places. I will see how long it lasts. The xaniums on the first go around were great, the second batch failed prematurely, I hope these don't as well.
could just be the one bulb I bought I guess, dunno for sure.
HTH,
Matt

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am using standard coil and core ballasts,
When I spoke with hello lights they were quite sure they would be fine, thought I would give them a chance.
it fires fine and was even quite nice looking for the first few days or so, then as time progressed it yellowed but seem brighter?
dunno....
Matt

·
Registered
210 Posts
heres pics first with actinic taken right now

now without actinic taken at same time.

Oh yeah and can someone please tell me why fred and wilma host in my deresa clam. they are crazy clowns.
Matt

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David,

I am basing it on my own tank. I know it is real scientific but....

Link

The thread goes through my experience. It may be a bad batch of bulbs or maybe long term effects of running the radium bulb as the sole lighting source.

If I recall, you have a mix of bulbs also..the radiums are not the only bulbs you have for lighting...

Greg

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think that is because geoicities dosen't like linking I am in the process of setting up a web server.....sorry
If you right click on the props you can view them at the source then they will show up after you have them in your cache.
HTH,
Matt

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Greg, I exclusively use 400W Radiums on the show tank. I ordered all my bulbs last January. No problems that I am aware and look to be the same as before. I will have to keep an eye out on that thread as see how it develops. I won't need any new bulbs until Sept/Oct. and didn't have any plans on switching bulbs.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David,

I am wondering if a timeline can be established. My first Radium bulb was replaced right after my meeting..around April 1st...that is when the tank started to get more and more "white-washed". Can you do me a favor and see what markings are on your bulbs? I remember a while ago that someone mentioned the new bulbs have different markings.

Radium
HRI-T 400W blue
Made in Germany
o5

Greg

G

·
i just placed and order for 2 175w xms and a 250w xm i am very interested in this bulb, ive only heard great things

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bumping to top...

Anyone have an extra 400W ballast laying around (normal, HQI, eBallast, etc.) I could buy or borrow until Champion gets the eBallasts back in stock?? I want to add another 400W bulb in addition to my existing one. I want to go with a 400W 10K Ushio and a 400W XM...

Greg

Just cut and pasted original post because I edited to include purchasing one....Greg

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
I have a 250 watt with pendant you could use. I think I have a few different bulbs for it but I would have to check. Talk to you later, I will be around most of the day if you want to swing by and pick it up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
greg,
I have a spare 400W coil and core but, it needs to be re wired and it is currently installed in a box with my current ballast.
If you want to rip it out and wire it you can have it.
I am home all day tomorrow if you want to do it then.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.