The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I will be upgrading from my 10 gallon reef tank soon to a 40 gallon fish only tank.
Any suggestions? Would a penguin bio wheel power filter be enough filtration?

I was hoping to upgrade to a 65 gallon tank but I'm not sure that's going to happen,but it still could be an option,so any suggestions for a 65 as well?

In the 40 could I do a valentini puffer,a frogfish,and a small humu humu triggerfish? Would a snowflake moray work in the 40?

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
A snowflake will grow bigger and will most likely snipe off your smaller fish in time (at least mine did.)

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
the green wolf eel (actually a blenny) is actually way more aggressive than a snowflake eel. and usually IMO a snowflake will not start eating fish until it is over 1.5'(unless its a really really small fish like a clown goby then it could eat it at anytime). also, as long as there arent any passive fish with the eel that couldnt stand its ground you be ok. a 40g tank is really to small long term for a snowflake eel or huma trigger. i mean a year or a year and a half tops for both if you buy them really small. also, make sure to not underfeed any of these fish since they get really aggressive when they need food. also, a frogfish really needs its own tank since it will try and usually can eat fish up to twice it's size. and puffers and triggers will usually eat the frogfish's illicium. so all in all i think if your not planning on keeping these guys in a 40g for more than 2 years tops, I think a huma trigger, any type of dwarf puffer, and a snowflake eel is good. just make sure to buy the small (puffer and trigger <2" and the eel <6"). hope this helps! good luck and keep us updated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts