The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’ve decided in taking to plunge in starting a saltwater tank. Currently I’m about to complete my 30 day cycling period. Once I’m finished I know I need to change out 20% of the tank. But my problem is once I’ve changed the water is what type of testing should be done? I’m not sure what type of water testing must be done weekly or monthly?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Depends on whether you are going fish only with live rock or with corals.
algae growth will depend on the amount of phosphate in the water so a good quality phosphate test kit is a good investment. Not the API ones as they just aren’t good enough to measure at the levels you want. Weekly testing the most you really need to do unless you are dosing something and it is not a good idea for someone new to the hobby to do. The best advice I can give you to go for stability and don’t chase numbers. Trying to get a perfect number will cause you more work, anguish, grief than about anything else.
find a range and stay in that. Some people go months without testing once their tank is established they can tell by the way things look if their parameters are in the range they want. Go slow, relax and don’t get in hurry.
Welcome and have fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on whether you are going fish only with live rock or with corals.
algae growth will depend on the amount of phosphate in the water so a good quality phosphate test kit is a good investment. Not the API ones as they just aren’t good enough to measure at the levels you want. Weekly testing the most you really need to do unless you are dosing something and it is not a good idea for someone new to the hobby to do. The best advice I can give you to go for stability and don’t chase numbers. Trying to get a perfect number will cause you more work, anguish, grief than about anything else.
find a range and stay in that. Some people go months without testing once their tank is established they can tell by the way things look if their parameters are in the range they want. Go slow, relax and don’t get in hurry.
Welcome and have fun.
Un

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I would recommend starting with easy soft corals. They are more tolerant of mistakes.
before you buy any livestock decide what fish you must have and plan everythingelse around them. Fish should be added from the most peaceful to the more aggressive. This is planning what you want really comes in. If you put a more aggressive fish in early it makes harder and sometimes impossible to add some fish later. While very popular clown fish can be real bullies especially the larger species like tomato clowns.
Make sure the fish you want will work in size tank you have. Don’t trust your local fish store to tell you the truth, do your own research. A good place to start is liveaquaria.com .
While many would consider a 40 gallon tank as large by saltwater standards it is small so you will not be able to get a lot of fish in it. You can get more if you plan fish that use different levels in the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend starting with easy soft corals. They are more tolerant of mistakes.
before you buy any livestock decide what fish you must have and plan everythingelse around them. Fish should be added from the most peaceful to the more aggressive. This is planning what you want really comes in. If you put a more aggressive fish in early it makes harder and sometimes impossible to add some fish later. While very popular clown fish can be real bullies especially the larger species like tomato clowns.
Make sure the fish you want will work in size tank you have. Don’t trust your local fish store to tell you the truth, do your own research. A good place to start is liveaquaria.com .
While many would consider a 40 gallon tank as large by saltwater standards it is small so you will not be able to get a lot of fish in it. You can get more if you plan fish that use different levels in the tank.
Yes I plan on starting with some some soft corals.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
Hello, I’ve decided in taking to plunge in starting a saltwater tank. Currently I’m about to complete my 30 day cycling period. Once I’m finished I know I need to change out 20% of the tank. But my problem is once I’ve changed the water is what type of testing should be done? I’m not sure what type of water testing must be done weekly or monthly?
I'd say that the most important thing is to test salinity, and test it properly with a tester you know is accurate. You can compare your readings against a LFS, or get a calibration solution, or compare your readings with a hobbyist on the same sample, any way to verify that your refractometer is properly adjusted.

After that I'd measure Ammonia and Nitrite, these aren't important later, but the cycle is not done until they reach 0.

When you start to stock make sure you go slow. The tank will take some time to adjust to the load of feeding and each fish. One at a time with a month in between is best, especially with the first.

Whiskey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say that the most important thing is to test salinity, and test it properly with a tester you know is accurate. You can compare your readings against a LFS, or get a calibration solution, or compare your readings with a hobbyist on the same sample, any way to verify that your refractometer is properly adjusted.

After that I'd measure Ammonia and Nitrite, these aren't important later, but the cycle is not done until they reach 0.

When you start to stock make sure you go slow. The tank will take some time to adjust to the load of feeding and each fish. One at a time with a month in between is best, especially with the first.

Whiskey
Right now my nitrate nitrite are both reading at 0. I just finished my cycling for 30 days and I had the water tested. I know I need to take out 20% of the water should I test it again before I add coral and fish?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
Right now my nitrate nitrite are both reading at 0. I just finished my cycling for 30 days and I had the water tested. I know I need to take out 20% of the water should I test it again before I add coral and fish?
You don't need to, the bacteria that process ammonia to Nitrite and Nitrate live on the Live rock and Filtration media, not in the water. The water change will not cause these levels to go up.

You might want to test Salinity after because that could be affected, but that's all.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Wait till the nitrites are 0.
the number of days doesn’t matter, it is the ammonia and nitrite 0ing that matters.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,014 Posts
Welcome to TRT ChiTown 81, and congratulations on taking the plunge!
Wait till the nitrites are 0.
the number of days doesn’t matter, it is the ammonia and nitrite 0ing that matters.
Agree that the number of days isn't important, as long as your numbers have risen, and the fallen......then add Fish slowly with time between. Ain't no rush.......then Corals.

Your tank and EVERYBODY'S tank will go through a stage called 'The uglies'......diatoms, algies will make you think you've failed'.....but are a normal part a marine tank goes through. THAT could last from 4, to 6 months or more. This is why we recommend holding off on Corals till after this passes. It can smother out the Corals, or just make you nuts.....PLUS this time ghives you a chance to become comfortable with your new hobby, with the testing and ,maintenance.

Take your time....far easier doing it right the first time....rather than getting frustrated and starting over, or worse....quitting.
You can do this, and have fun to,
Hack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to TRT ChiTown 81, and congratulations on taking the plunge!

Agree that the number of days isn't important, as long as your numbers have risen, and the fallen......then add Fish slowly with time between. Ain't no rush.......then Corals.

Your tank and EVERYBODY'S tank will go through a stage called 'The uglies'......diatoms, algies will make you think you've failed'.....but are a normal part a marine tank goes through. THAT could last from 4, to 6 months or more. This is why we recommend holding off on Corals till after this passes. It can smother out the Corals, or just make you nuts.....PLUS this time ghives you a chance to become comfortable with your new hobby, with the testing and ,maintenance.

Take your time....far easier doing it right the first time....rather than getting frustrated and starting over, or worse....quitting.
You can do this, and have fun to,
Hack
Thanks, I can’t wait to get it started. I’ve just been so nervous about the water testing and getting the correct levels.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,014 Posts
Don't stress......THIS IS FUN!

You'll be an expert in no time at all....relax, and ask questions. We don't make any money off you, but lfs do.......
Hack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts