The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been cycling my tank for the last 4 weeks and everything seems to be doing well according to my lfs everything is where it should be as far as ph salinity nitrites nitrates and ammonia. It is a 46 gallon bow. I have a sandbed that is mixed southdown and livesand. 15 pounds of fiji rock and no fish corals or anenomes. I know that evryone has different opinions on this and I was wondering if it is a good time to start adding some fish and is there a guide per say, like fish then wait a while to put in anything else. Bear with my newbieness :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would start adding food every day without fish and let the bio filter really get going. That way, when you add fish and start feeding them there won't be a spike. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i was going to go out and pick up some more rock this weekend. whhat kind of food should I start adding since there aare no fish yet. Also on another notemy lfs was telling me that the first couple of fish that I should get should be mollys to start cycling the tank. what are your thoughts on that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
No mollies. Geez, how old it that idea :rolleyes: That guy at the lfs must be from the 'good old days' :funny: It would take you a couple of weeks to just acclimatise the mollies to the salt water...

Franc, between the l.r (you should add it all at once if you can) and the extra bit of food every day, the tank will cycle quite nicely :) Any kind of flake or frozen should work - it will also help to feed the little critters on the rock.

Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah well supposedly he said that mollies are originally from salt water, just going bu what they said. As for the Live rock im gonna try and pick up another 10 lbs this weekend.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, I believe that the mollies can live in brackish water (river estuaries etc) and can be slowly acclimatized but they don't live in the ocean...

Sounds like you're on your way :) Got any pics?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Word of advise.... dont let your LFS talk you into putting Damsels in there either.... if you want any fish in there to start with I would personally go with Chromis.... They are great and dont have the attitude of a damsel. Also remember your LR should be 1.5 - 2.0 lbs per gallon of water that means you are looking at 70-90 lbs. and from what I hear you should try to all most of your live rock in the begining because some fish get stressed when u add more rock and your tank may go through small spikes while adding it in smaller quanities...

OH ya and one last note try to buy live rock that your LFS has had in there tanks for awhile that way you can pick up hitch hikers...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I have a long way to go with the rock :) and from reading alot of the threads my mind was made up a long time ago about getting damsels. No damsels for me id prefer a peacful tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.