The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, and I have looked through a thousand similar posts, but here goes. I have a new 50gal (32x18x21deep). My main problem is the canopy (which is staying) olny has 5 inches of space from glass top of tank. I could remove the glass top and theny would be talking 6-7" from bare water. I am concerned about the heat. I would rather not use a chiller but am not opposed if deemed necessary. I either want 4 individual reflector T5HO (stagered 24" for full coverage). Or MH (175-250) with 2 T5 also staggered for full coverage. I know I'll need fans either way, I really want MH but will it be too hot. I would like clams and sps and anemonae some day but if it's just going to be a pain i'll stick with softies. Thanks for the Help.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of doing hellolights retro kit because I think the exposed lighting will cool better with the fans. I have also thought about using an ebay all in one with 1 MH and PC. Looks nice too. Has fans on both ends. Will that being sealed up move heat out easier? Can't post link but is ebay item #350179258930
I have even considered the odessa and I'm ready to buy new ballast.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No center brace, curved glass tank. Good thinking though. It does have a glass top covering entire surface, should I leave it or junk it. I like not having escapies(eel perhaps).....

· Pinch That Penny
2,451 Posts
I personally don't like using a glass top for the purpose of the gas exchange at the surface of the water plus they filter some of your light. One the other hand, if you have an eel in there, it will jump without a cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.