The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 487 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after much consideration, I bit the bullet today and am making a downsize of the 125g to a 34g Solana(I like the frameless look). The 125 was just too big in my eyes right now with the move coming up and the available time. Some of the corals are going to be picked up in the next hour and the new tank, stand and temporary lights delivered. The rest of the 125 should be on its way by the middle of the week.

The tank will be mixed SPS and LPS stocked from my current tank. Pics will follow later tonight. Water should be in it by tomorrow evening. I will most likely cook my rock before I put it in the new tank. (Now to find that short cooking method that Fly Guy put out here)

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New tank just arrived!

Be back after the ball game tonight!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
That's not a down size. That's a biopsy. :lol:

I'm sure the new little tank will be awesome. You get to cherry pick the corals from the big tank. I can't wait to see pics. Are you going to go large again after you move?

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you already started tearing down the 125... you get any last day pics? Look forward to seeing the new setup!
Some coral is gone but the last pics are from a few weeks back and posted already. Tank looks bare and only a few things have left.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stand is assembled and the tank is out of the crate, but I am ready for bed, so no pics tonight. Sorry

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You tease !!!

I'm sorry you had to downsize but I'm sure the Solana will be an awesome set up
More of just too lazy to get the pics taken tonight. The tank does look great though! I love the no frame look of the Solana. It really is a decent sized tank.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't beleive your doing it until I see some pics ;)

That solona should look really sweet! I bet it's going to be really nice. What do you plan to do for filtration, CA, and ALK?

Whiskey
All the filtration is built in but I'm sure there will be mods done. I'll go back to dosing for Ca and Alk.

Pics should follow soon. Tank is in place. Leak testing will begin very shortly.

I have a temporary light fixture for now. The new one should be in by the end of the week.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One last FTS of the 125. Notice the emptiness without the 2 large monti's.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New beginning!

Introducing the 34g Solana!

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does this have starfire glass, Eric? And did you keep the superman?
It does have starfire glass! One of the things that drew me to this system.

I will be keeping the superman. One of the deals I made was I could frag anything in the tank and a few corals are not going at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now I am trying to decide whether or not to cook the rock. Problem is that with the move, will I end up starting over the cooking process when I transport the rock? Would it maybe be best just to use the rock for now and then cook it after I get moved?

If I cook the rock now, I will need to build a few eggcrate stands for the coral.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I'd just do it now. That's only 34 gallons, I'm sure you can keep the rocks submerged in buckets when you make the move. It may be 3-4 buckets full of rock, but how were you planning on transporting everything already?

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd just do it now. That's only 34 gallons, I'm sure you can keep the rocks submerged in buckets when you make the move. It may be 3-4 buckets full of rock, but how were you planning on transporting everything already?
Good Point!

Pretty much planned on transporting in buckets and coolers. Looks like I will be building some shelves and cooking some rock! Might as well start this off right!

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Is that the DFS one or the solona? I've been seriously looking at the DFS one!

But seriously, you can't even put some of your corals in that tank... They are too big.:D

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that the DFS one or the solona? I've been seriously looking at the DFS one!

But seriously, you can't even put some of your corals in that tank... They are too big.:D
It is the Solana tank. Not familiar with the DFS tanks.

All of the big corals are gone. I took frags of what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 487 Posts