The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 33 gallon tank laying around, that's already drilled with an overflow box. I was just going through what I have, and can set up a 20l sump with a turboflotor 1000 skimmer, mag 7 return. The tank is 4' x 13" x 13". Was planning on using a twin tube and single tube NO, with 2 10k and a actinic bulb. Can this be enough lighting for Zoos, mushrooms, and some small softies? I was going to have a real low sandbed, >2", and 45 lbs of rock, peaking in the middle to within an inch of surface, and working it's way down. I'm pretty much saying I'm bored, and want to set it up along the back of my desk. Let me know if this will be enough light for these...remember, the light doesn't even go a foot to reach the bottom. :beer:

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
That sounds feasable, worse case scenario, at some point later you migh want to swith the dual to a couple inexpensive 96 watt PC or one of the cheap Icecap clone ballasts, other than that it sounds good.
Actually I would lean towards a dual tube (white/actinic ) VHO on the cheap e ballast, at least that way you can swap in cheap std 40 watt tubes in a pinch :)

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
no sounds like a bad idea, what if it leaks? get bored? earthquake? typhoon? star collides with your office? no no no instead find out what the shipping charge is to San Diego? please pm me with shipping charge.

no man i'm kidding sounds like a great idea, good luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason I'd set it up, is that I love mushrooms and zoo colonies, but they look out of place in my LPS tank....plus, I don't need any shrooms letting go of their foothold and landing on a hammer or frog, or any of my corals

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.