The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wanted everyones thoughts. 90 gallon

I'm currently running a 4bulb current nova with a 2 bulb current nova strip
so 54x6 total...324 total watts. downside of this set up is the 2 bulb does not have individual reflectors, I took the legs off to try to help some.

I also have a pair of current nova halide pendants. 150 watts each with moonlights. I never used these since I moved to my new apartment. The ceiling here is a false ceiling so I'm not sure how I would mount them....

I figure only thing I may be missing out on is the "shimmer" which I may try some stunner strips..see if it helps any. I do like being able to choose all kinds of bulbs with the T5 set up...

any input on what halide vs T5 is appreciated.
I read thru some of the "stickies" but wanted some user input as well...
stock is mostly fish right now....a few Zoas...some LPS but would like to start housing SPS soon.

thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 90 gal, and tried using a 4 bulb PC setup, as well as a 4 bulb T5 setup. That was simply not enough light. You have 2 more bulbs, so you might be OK, but I think just barely. I would look at a halide combo fixture with either 2 150w or 2 250 w 10k-14k bulbs. I just bought a Maristar fixture with Aqualine 10k bulbs and 2 Lumatek e-ballasts. I am running the bulbs at 150 w currently and it looks SO much better than with the fluorescents. I might recommend something a little bluer than my particular bulbs though. They are very white and I think I am missing out on some of the fluorescence that is in the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts