The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the middle of my 300g in wall project. Here are the specs s far:

1. 300g acrylic tank, 8ft long, 30" H, 24" D
2. 2x10" solatubes being installed this week. I have 2x400w Metal halides for back up if I need them. f needed I can add a 3rd one and/or led stunner strips.
3. g4+ skimmer
4. A 200 gallon sump
5. 57W UV filter
6. Snapper 18 pump.
7. Rock and sand from MArco rock.

I am setting up an Auto Water Change system and Auto top off. I will be ordering the following tomorrow:

1. Aqua controller
2. Tunze Wavebox 6215
3. Auto dosing pumps
4. A new system pump for the sump.

The tank is in the wall with freshwater, the plumping runs but I am going to change it around a bit. I have managed to avoid any gurgle and make it silent, except for the pump.

I was considering the Barracuda/Hammerhead hybrid, but I am wondering if that is overkill? I am planning mostly fish (tangs), a few corals (simple, like a leather and plate corals) and some anemones, I don't want too heavy a bio-load, I want to keep it kind of minimalist.

I have no idea how a wavebox figures into flow. I am looking for a pump that is quiet and turns over what needed, not too much and not too little.

OK, let me know! Any help is appreciated. I will add some pics in a bit.

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Tagging along. Looks good so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Solatubes were installed yesterday. My neighbor is the local solatube dealer and he is giving me a good deal.

I had two 14" tubes installed, leaving space for a third tube if we feel it is necessary. If you look at the picture of the front, the right side is brighter, this is because I have two different diffuser lenses to try from, therefore each side has a different lens on it.

You can also add a dimmer on each tube if you want later.

Later on in the evening I added the trim to the outside, next I need to paint it.

This weekend I will empty out the freshwater that is circulating, add the rock work and sand and start filling up with RO/DI water, then the salt.

Attachments

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Very nice! one thing I notice ,is that outlet without the cover to the left of sump GFCI protected? It should be.I'd go one further and put an outdoor cover over it.:2cents:

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
So have you thought of a basic stocking list for this monster yet?
Surely he's going for the couple small children and a dog, maybe a gold fish in a bowl on a end table in the corner for aesthetics. :) hehe

Had to say it about every 300g build or bigger I see has a picture of a child in the tank empty at some point I swear :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice! one thing I notice ,is that outlet without the cover to the left of sump GFCI protected? It should be.I'd go one further and put an outdoor cover over it.:2cents:
I am very glad you wrote that. I have no idea why it never crossed my mind. Trip to Lowe's in order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tagging along too. Looks terrific. You've made a lot of progress already.

Did you have any reservations about spanning the entire 8 feet without structural support? Is that two 2x8's that you used?
I had a guy come look at it who does a lot of remodels and building at the place I work at. It's two 2x8's and everyone who I had look at it thought it was more than enough. It's not a load bearing wall.

The two 2x8's rest on top of two 2x4's on each side, And from what I understand that should hold at least 1500lbs. Too late now. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So have you thought of a basic stocking list for this monster yet?
No, I am very undecided. I would like a school of yellow tangs, 5-8 maybe, and a couple other odd tangs, but I need to think it through some more. also a school of chromis. I have wanted an emporator Angel since I was 12, but I know the issues with corals, etc. so I need to consider it. Sohol is out of the question.

Still need to figure out how I will quarantine fish, etc. for lots of tangs. A friend owns a LFS in town and is willing to give me a rack of fish tanks he doesn't need anymore for the room. I will try to get some more pics when I have the room in better shape this weekend.

Thanks for all the comments this has been a dream for like 24 years since I was kid and had tanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the tank, UV sterilizer, Skimmer and a bunch of other odds and ends from a guy in CA for $700. It was pretty crazy, I just had to be willing to put up with the holes. I was OK with it, you need to be when you are a public school teacher.

I think it had been set up with a closed loop and BB so it could move the water along the bottom. Most of it won't show, but I will have a couple extra bulkheads in the back depending on how I place the rock work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a guy come look at it who does a lot of remodels and building at the place I work at. It's two 2x8's and everyone who I had look at it thought it was more than enough. It's not a load bearing wall.

The two 2x8's rest on top of two 2x4's on each side, And from what I understand that should hold at least 1500lbs. Too late now. :)
I'm pretty sure what you have will carry a lot more than 1,500lb. A 2x4 can carry a crazy amount of weight if the load is distributed vertically, and four 2x8's spanning 8 feet should do much better than 1,500lb too.

It had better, too. The weight of your water alone will be over 2,500lb. (fresh water weighs 8.33lb / gallon), and the glass in your tank will weigh 400lb or more maybe? But in any case, I think you'll be fine.

I'm working on a six foot tank and am planning to span the gap with only one pair of 2x8s. According my internet research this should be more than adequate for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm pretty sure what you have will carry a lot more than 1,500lb. A 2x4 can carry a crazy amount of weight if the load is distributed vertically, and four 2x8's spanning 8 feet should do much better than 1,500lb too.

It had better, too. The weight of your water alone will be over 2,500lb. (fresh water weighs 8.33lb / gallon), and the glass in your tank will weigh 400lb or more maybe? But in any case, I think you'll be fine.

I'm working on a six foot tank and am planning to span the gap with only one pair of 2x8s. According my internet research this should be more than adequate for me.

Nice drawings! I could never doing anything good with Google Sketch.

I read his comment as referring to the hole the tank fits into, not the stand. Yeah, I am sure it holds more than enough for the tank, although there are 3 other sides just as strong, including the front 2x8's which sit across the wall studs.

The only thing that bothers me is I intentionally left a lip on the back of the stand, so the tank isn't directly on the back, and i am thinking of reenforcing it with another beam across the bottom.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts