The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new here to TRT, and am starting a 300g build. I started with a 90g last summer, and am ready to upgrade.

I found a 300g acrylic tank with 1" glass, 100g sump, skimmer and metal halide lamps, ReeFlo Barracuda pump and stand for $800. I am pretty excited, although it's 350 miles away. Picking it up next weekend.

I am wondering on the rock. I want a minimalist rockscape, with maybe a large island on one side, and smaller one on the other, with some softies and anemones. And a lot of fish. I figure shallow sand bed of 1-2 inches.

I am wondering if I started this with something like 100lbs of marco base rock, some 90-150lbs of dry sand and some nutra-fin cycle with a piece of shimp, would I create live rock that could be successful in handling the tanks load while avoiding hitch hikers? My 90 gallon ended up full of aptasia, and I am always fighting it.

THanks

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am planning on taking down my 90g to sell once the 300 is up and running. I could take the live rock out of there and sterlize it to get rid of all the aptasia and un-wanteds? There is about 100lbs or so in there I would guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was amazed when I found the deal, and equally amazed when my wife said sure with no discussion. :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
lol your lucky it was a struggle to get my wife to let me setup my 20gallon nano

1 - 6 of 6 Posts