The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
yep... best to wait, even small ones will be quite stressed in a 30. You'll have a 125 before you know it ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're keeping a baby blue tang in a 40 long, with plans to move her to a larger tank in less than a year when we upgrade. She is happy, and healthy. She is fed a varied diet of frozen food, flake, and algae strips on a veggie clip every other day. Her tankmates are a blue velvet damsel, whom she schools, a fiji damsel, a cleaner shrimp, a turbo snail and a red leg hermit. Adding corals, soon. So she has plenty of room to swim and grow, for now..I know the prevailing wisdom is to not put a tang in a tank this size, but so far, so good. I don't think I'd put her in a tank any smaller than our 40, though.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
*steps on soap box* Think about how far tangs travel in the wild.......miles a day. not 3-4 feet......miles. I dont think anyone should hold a tang with a tank less than 150 gallons. but thats just me. I would absolutly love to have one.....but I dont want to punish it by being in my tank. it should be able to act naturally as possible. just my opinion though.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
*steps on soap box* Think about how far tangs travel in the wild.......miles a day. not 3-4 feet......miles. I dont think anyone should hold a tang with a tank less than 150 gallons. but thats just me. I would absolutly love to have one.....but I dont want to punish it by being in my tank. it should be able to act naturally as possible. just my opinion though.
Amen!Well put!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I have had to qt a yellow tang in a small tank. I had mine in a 10g for about 8 weeks, by the end of that 8 weeks, the fish was starting to show signs of stress.

If it was a life or death situation for the fish, I would suggest that even a 5 gallon bucket would suffice for a short period of time. But, if you are going to buy the fish with hopes of buying a bigger tank in the future, I would take the advice the others gave you and wait. Just my .02

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Dont do so... buy fish for the tank you have, not the one you want. If you're going to upgrade, wait until then to buy either of those fish.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I also would say to wait. Tangs are very active swimming all the time and browsing the LR for things to eat. They also get very BIG and need lots of room to maneuver around and stuff (stretching room). That's one reason I'm considering upgrading to a bigger tank in a few years b/c I want a tang (or a couple) really bad!:)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I also would say to wait. Tangs are very active swimming all the time and browsing the LR for things to eat.
I have had my 10g qt set-up for a few weeks now. I have had a 10k daylight on for most of the time. My intention was to grow algae on everything in the tank to feed the yellow tang I knew I was planning to buy. I bought the fish earlier this week and it has already cleaned 95% of the algae out of that tank.

·
Registered
802 Posts
my red lip blenny did the same in my 55g... i'm conserned for his health at this point because he does nothing but hide at feeding time for everyone else...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts