The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Wish I'd done a little further research before the setup of this tank. At 30 days old my nitrates are primarily setting at 20ppm and moving to 30 by the end of a week. I've been reading about bb and I'm wondering if this is the problem. Knowing that this is a young tank wiith a small load will removing all the bio balls a once be a safe move??
your thoughts are welcome.
11/16
ph 8.3
dkh 14
ca 400
po 0

75gal 30 gal sump 160 lbs live rock 1200 mag sump return, 1200 power head.

11/19
nitrates 40

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
well, BB does allow detritus to be siphoned out quickly. Usually any nutrient buildup issues from substrate you are not going to see in 30 days. Are you saying its 30 days since you put water in the tank, since it was cycled? Was the rock cured when you bought it? Is ammonia and nitrite reading 0? How much water do you change and how often? I would not reccomend removing all the bioballs at once but they may be contributing to your nitrate issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more tank information

I really don't know how to classify the rock that went into this tank. My previous tank was being kept by someone else who apparently didn't want to deal with it. When I picked up my LR that was in the tank the water had all but evaporated. all the rock was still moist but had set through quite a brine situation. After rinsing and scrubing I put this rock in a new setup. Aprox 160 lbs new live sand 40 lbs and maybe 10 lbs of new live rock. Amonia is at 0 and the tank is really looking good.
1 small clown
20 small hermits
20 small snails
3 large snails
small cluster of brown button polyps
small cluster of yellow polyps
3 small finger leathers
1 small sun coral

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nitrates bio balls

So the general opion is to get the BB's out. Since this is my first sump I'm assuming that it is correct to fill the sump with as much water as it will hold allowing for the drainage of the tank in case of any pump failure. Would this be correct?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
At 30 days old my nitrates are primarily setting at 20ppm and moving to 30 by the end of a week
Then quick getting excited and let the tank do it's thing. When you hit the 6 month or year mark, then we will talk;) it is part of the cycling process... For now leave it, 30 is nothing...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I so need to read the whole post...

Knowing that this is a young tank wiith a small load will removing all the bio balls a once be a safe move??
Yank 1/3 out now... 1/3 out mid next week and the rest the week after that... Stupid balls!!!

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the streight forward answer. I pulled about 50% of them when I did a water change today. The rest will come out gradualy over the next week. The tank is young and improving daily.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
pulling them all out probably wouldn't hurt.... but its always better to be safe than sorry. you have plenty of rock so it shouldn't be an issue. Do you run a skimmer? with a tank that young I would not add anymore bioload for awhile until its stabalized more. I wouls especially be a bit careful w/ corals. How often are you changing water and how much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts