The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RO/DI is pumping 2-3 TDS now and I can't get it to zero. The RO has got about 6-7 TDS coming out of it, so I guess it's my DI that's spent? Should I change it now or wait till it's doing nothing. I'm really thinking that I should change it ASAP before I start getting red slime and green hair. Wait... too late. Stupid question, I know....

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
2-3 is still pretty low, but I would set about refilling the DI asap...I used just RO for some time at 005-007ppm without any major issues...but since I added the DI I refill it as soon as it climbs above 000ppm.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup just changed all my filters except the membrane. I thought about just the DI, but why stress the membrane at all, so I just changed them all... Like I said, stupid question. But thanks for the response anyway. Seems like I can't do anything without posting first. ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Saying 3 tds is a big deal is like saying feeding your tank 3 extra pellets of fish food would kill your fish. To put things in perspective imagine how many tds is added to water when you feed your fish one cube of frozen food. We are talking about one part per million.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
but, if the water is attached to an auto top off, then you really have no idea how much is going into the system. on my 125g i was probably putting in 3-5g a day from evaporation. it can add up. then again depending on what you are feeding the fish, you may have little phosphates going into the system from food.

G~

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I agree...2-3 TDS is no biggie, but I would change the DI asap.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If a system can’t process 3tds or even 10+tds top off water I would think there would be more pressing issues to worry about.

My new 225 is to new to be used as an example but my old 90 gallon had zero phosphate testing with a Hanna Phosphate meter for years. I’ve used 12-20tds water for top off and mixing salt for 3+ years without issues. I think people get a little excited when it comes to zero TDS. Of course it couldn’t heart to have zero tds but I personally feel the benefit is verify minute if any.

On the same note has anyone seen a tang poo? I feel dirty just watching it but would people who swears on zero tds water stop keeping tangs? Its three drop off water in a bucket with 1,000,000 drops in it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but, if the water is attached to an auto top off, then you really have no idea how much is going into the system. on my 125g i was probably putting in 3-5g a day from evaporation. it can add up. then again depending on what you are feeding the fish, you may have little phosphates going into the system from food.

G~
I have a top off float hooked up, but not long after (about a week) I noticed the PPm skyrocket from my RO. It's called TDS creep and it happens when your RO/DI keeps going on and off. They sell a devise that fills up with water (about 5 gal) and drips into your tank when your tank calls for water. Then it will fill up only when the bucket is completely empty. Pretty cool, and I saw a DIY on how to make one.

http://www.idahoreefs.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1192

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
raskal311- you are right in that the total amount is very little compared to the concentration of lets say a fish poo, but the difference is that the nutrients are entering the system compared to already being in the system, leaving the fish. we are dealing with open systems here and the less we put into the system the less we have to remove later. no telling what those last 3 tds's are either.

is it a big deal in the short term no, over a long time it can become a bigger deal. just better to have it at zero if the option is there.

G~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts