Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok heres the list of what i would like to eventually have in a FOWLR tank,

Harlequin Tusk
Volitan Lion
Zebra Moray Eel
Lemon Peel Angel

1. what do you think about the compatability?
2. what size tank do you think I will need?
3. What kind of clean-up crew can i get?

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
almost a 500 gallon tank... tusk,Angels, triggers all get large..also..lions get large in the wild & might grow that large if fed enough in tanks...only thing i would worry about is the eel..if not fed enough each day..he will kill the other fish..no matter the size...as for clean up crew..thats a challenge..no sea apples or cucumbers..as the eels & angels will scare them enough to release there toxins & down comes the system..so you might just have to add ALOT of snails & crabs every year or so..lol

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I'd consider a different eel, but otherwise something in the 6 ft length (125, 180) or larger would be ok. The only thing that I'd hesitate with in terms of combination is the lemon peel angel... they stay pretty small and may become a meal for an eel or lion. A beautiful fish, though.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
here are the min requirement tank size from Dr. Foster and Smith:

Humu Picasso Triggerfish (70g)
Harlequin Tusk (50g)
Volitan Lion (50g)
Zebra Moray Eel (125g)
Lemon Peel Angel (30g)
Oh, and in terms of the Drs... I'd use that as a minimum if they're the only fish in the tank! When you start combining, you've got to pay more heed towards relationships, territoriality (I'm pretty sure that's not a word), bio-loads, etc.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Oh, and in terms of the Drs... I'd use that as a minimum if they're the only fish in the tank! When you start combining, you've got to pay more heed towards relationships, territoriality (I'm pretty sure that's not a word), bio-loads, etc.

exactly..these are large fish.. (besides the angle..i got that one confused with something else..:doh:) i would not go any less than a 350 gallon..500 would be best in my honest opinion. 120..175 or even 250 just isnt enough for such large & aggressive fish to live in peace togeather long term

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
exactly..these are large fish.. (besides the angle..i got that one confused with something else..:doh:) i would not go any less than a 350 gallon..500 would be best in my honest opinion. 120..175 or even 250 just isnt enough for such large & aggressive fish to live in peace togeather long term
That may be a little conservative, as good and frequent feedings should keep some of the aggression down.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I have a niger and a lion together in my fish only tank and they are doing great (in a 90)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, the trigger is only 30-40$ and would most likely be the last addidion so maybe id give it a shot just keep a close eye on it. i dunno right now ill stick with the lemon peel, zebra, and lion. going to stock up on fish for the reef next. I have a 75g with 2 percs in it................

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
the only one i would worry about in that setup would be the lemonpeel with the moray

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
from the little research ive done, this type of eel doesn't eat fish. they are reef safe but not with shrimps or crabs. i could be wrong but a friend of mine had one in his 90g with neon gobies and other small fish with out any problem. they are both in the same cave right now. also the guy i bought the zebra from said he shared his "den" with a small tang

1 - 17 of 17 Posts