The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I have three options on a 3 Gal Eclipse tank that I am turning into a nano reef.

1. Buy a kit from Marineland to replace the blowed up ballast and go back to 6 watt Flourscent. (Definatly not the way I want to go.)

2. Buy a 13 Watt Retro Kit or a 28 watt retro kit and mount in the hood.
a. I would probably go with 13 watts since this is an office tank and I am only gonna have a damsel and xenia and possibly a shroom or two.
b. A 28 watt will kill the power filter, which I want to add carbon and for flow.
c. Will I need to cut and mount a piece of plexiglass to protect whatever the lighting option is since that is how the last ballast blew.?

3. Third option is to buy a horizontal mount incandescent bulb socket, and use the 10 watt PC bulbs. I can fit two but because of the angle of the hood, it won't allow for the plexiglass, and looks kinda ugly.

Any suggestions?

I have room to mount the ballast on the back with a pc but I am trying to be cheap since it is a work tank (at work I mean) and Lisa is kinda against it.

Ray

·
Registered
637 Posts
Go with the 13 watt bulb and yes to the plexi-glass....

I have a band-saw that would be very easy to cut the plexi-glass with. I did the same thing and I have it going around the filter unit. It fits very nicely!

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, That is probably what I am going with. I wonder if I should figure out how to hinge it, or just use it as a flat piece.

·
Registered
220 Posts
yeah 13 watt...cheaper retrofits at walmart- go to the lamps section and look for a blu coloured desk lamp. its a 13 watter with a magnetic ballast that im sure you could extend the wires from and make it remote. youll juts have to gut everything out, oh yeah its also got a reflecter and bulb clips what more to ask for? only 10 bux, they also sell 6500k 13 watts tehre for like 4 bux, but i say buy a 50-50 bulb from hellolights.com

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figure to just buy the 13 watt kit with reflector and bulb for 23 bucks. Hopefully I can talk will into helping cut the plexiglass.

Ray

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I will order it in the am. I should get it by Wedensday. But I have the plexi glass now. I can mark it up by tomorrow morning.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.