The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are 2x24 watt t-5 bulbs enough for softies or will i notice a difference if i add 2 more? an also my fixture manual says its not made for open top tanks..if i use the clamps couldn't i just take out the glass top to my tank and be ok?

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
I always recommend removing the glass from a reef tank... too much light can be lost trying to transmit through through it. Regarding the amount of light, 2 bulbs with individual reflectors is probably fine to start off with softies, but more would be better. If you do not have individual bulb reflectors, I'd say a mere 2 bulbs is likely inadequate.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I think most fixtures say not to use w/o a top. I think its more of a liability issue than anything else. Does it have an acrylic UV cover? If not does it have rubber boots over the connectors?

· Registered
788 Posts
the lights that say that if u do it anyways my thoughts are if something goes wrong with moisture they will tell u your warrenty is void due to no tops on the tank. I know alot of people run there tanks with no tops weather the lights said it was okay or not. Also my 26 has t5 14w *1 10k and 1 03 blue* single reflector and ive kept candy cane, start polyps and mushrooms the mushrooms are reproduceing but the others i have to keep up high. if i d had known better i wouldnt have gotten those. Its more what do u wanna keep in the tank, do u want to just keep it alive or reproduce.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill ask lfs i got them at what they think...i am for either keeping them alive or reproducing..my hairy shrooms have nearly doubled in a month and half so my lighting cant be to bad..i just like look of open top tank

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Run it open top for a week, see how much moisture, if any, condenses on the fixture. If you have condensation issues, you know to run it with a top. If you don't, then you can leave it open top. Is there a slot in the light fixture that runs the length that looks like you might be able to put a lens/cover on the fixture itself instead of over the tank?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.