The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and the tank has only been set up for a week - My skimmer seems to work overtime during the night and my gallon jug collection "cup" has overflowed twice. It controls itself during the day, and some nights are no problems. Any tricks for controlling this. Would it be ok to place the jug in the sump, and any overflow would land within the sump ?
I'm really learning to hate walking towards the tank and feeling water under my feet. On a brighter note the tank has been about a year in the making, and besides the cleaning and the mopping of the hardwoods - i'm really excited.

thanks in advance...

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Drill a hole in the top of a 5 gallon bucket and use that as your collection container.

Also, how wet is the skimmate you're collecting? You may need to reduce the flow into the skimmer to give you a drier skimmate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get one today - Last nights was practically dirty water, and I'm not even sure the 5 gallon jug would have held it. I turned it down after the first overflow problem. I thought everything was ok, until this morning. I'll turn it down another notch and see what happens.
Thanks again for the help...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a Sealife Systems venturi type skimmer, running on a pretty well turned down submersable sen 900. I made a small adjustment this morning, and the gallon jug has only picked up about an inch of waste and it does seem to be thicker. I appreciate the help, and for tonight anyway, like the idea of turning it off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One to many Home Improvement / Tool Time episodes I guess : )I was originally going to use the Sen for the return, but opted for an Iwaki instead. I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've noticed it under a couple of different posters - What does the BRW picture refer to ?

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
I was affraid of this problem as well.

I use a MyReef waste collector. It has a ping pong ball type air shutoff valve on it. If my collection container were to fill up the ping pong ball will rise and seal the air from escaping the waste container forcing the skimmer to not make skimmate. It actually works pretty good. I hope I explained this good.

http://www.myreefcreations.com/main.html WC-2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.