The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT! Looks like your off to a good start! Adding fish should not start another cycle if your tank was cycled properly. The whole point of "cycling" your tank in the beginning is to be sure your bacteria is build up enough to handle the bioload of your first fish. Did you start with live rock or dry? Did you put in anything to kick off the cycle like fish food or a piece of shrimp? Did you see any ammonia at all between now and the 8th of April? If you want to introduce two fish at once (the pair of clowns) then you want to be sure your tank is up to the task.

After your first addition you should wait a few weeks between each following addition to allow the bacteria to grow. Corals don't really add to the bioload much but when adding them this early in a tank you risk losing them to "the uglies" - a stretch of different types of algaes that will pop up over the next few months as your tank stabilizes. Many have lost corals by adding them too soon and having them smothered by algae.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If it were me I'd up the feeding - really feed it heavily for another week to make sure there are no spikes. That or dose it with pure ammonia to 2 ppm - if it zeros out in 24 hours then you know your biofilter is ready. Remember the most important part of this hobby is patience! Rushing into things wastes the fishes life and your money.

Also, I do not recommend a damsel "test fish". You should never add any fish if you're not confident that your tank is ready for it, so no need for a test. Also damsels are nasty and incredibly hard to catch. So good call on not going that route.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I was not suggesting he should use it to "cycle" the tank, as it already has good parameters. Also, as the only fish, how hard could it be lol?
Extremely! I stupidly put my little striped damsel in my 40B - he's about the size of a quarter so I thought "eh, how much trouble could he cause?". -.- A LOT. I had to remove EVERY PIECE OF ROCK from my tank to catch him after he harassed all of his (much larger) tank mates.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Sounds good! I also recommend a good cleaning before the new additions. Have you changed the water at all? You'll want to take a turkey baster and blow any detritus off/out of the rocks. Also you may want to look into a CUC - clean up crew. Snails or hermits to eat the excess food and work on the algae. Actually, now that I think about it, your brittle stars that hitchhiked in on your rock may be eating that little bit of food you've been putting in before it could cause any ammonia...

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Most of the diatoms should come off with the bastering, if not feel free to take a toothbrush to them in the tank - if you're running a filter and a skimmer they should catch what's floating around. Sounds like you already have a good maintenance routine in place. :thumbsup:

My brittle stars always have their little greedy arms waving for food, so I think they could probably eat quite a bit. I don't think their poo would be enough to register any ammonia though if you had any bacteria working in your tank though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.