1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy TRT!

I have been researching sumps and have committed to the idea of

building one. Nothing complicated, water down, water over, water up with

HOB skimmer, some spare live rock, maybe chaeto, and a bubble trap.

To the point I am buying this stand which will house my 29 gallon on

top, and either a 20 gallon Long or 29 gallon on bottom to serve as the

sump. But I am conflicted on whether I should bother with the 29, or go

with the much simpler 20 gallon long.

Currently my 29 gallon bare bottom FOWLR houses.

• Ocellaris clownfish x 2
  • Bicolor Blenny
  • Banded Coral Shrimp
  • Turbo Snails
  • Scarlet reef hermit crabs.
Currently my 29 gallon is equiped with.
I will be adding a deep sand bed, adding some softies, and may or may not get back into having an anemone.

20 is cheaper, but 29 is bigger, please share your thoughts, thanks in advance TRT!:wavey:

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
The answer depends on how tall your cabinet is.

Ideally you use largest sump you can fit into your stand and still get equipment in and out of it. I use a 20 gallon long on my 210 gallon tank. I like it because it's short and I can get my skimmer in and out of it for cleaning. I could not do that with a 29 gallon sump.

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
"Easy to work with" is probably the best way to phrase it. Really, to me it was the perfect size and the design is really quite simple. My drain goes into chamber 1 which also holds my skimmer and two reactors. Then there is a bubble trap and the refugium section. The other size of that is chamber 3 which has a simple wall (baffle) that hooks to the bottom and the water flows over the top. Inside this chamber is the return (in my case I have 2 return pumps, one for each overflow). Simple.

I got the baffles from Lowe's where they cut them to size for me. All that was left for me to do was put them in place and apply aquarium silicone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I do need easy to work with, I live in an apartment at the moment which prevents me from upgrading to a 55 or 75 gallon. I can always upgrade the sump later with the new tank, I really just want the equip off the DT. I shouldn't make this the do or die sump just yet, I will go with the 20 gallon long and keep it simple and easy. Much appreciated, thanks y'all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts